no internet connection on networked PC - Wireless

This is a discussion on no internet connection on networked PC - Wireless ; I've gone through the questions already on here about this and tried a few things, but still no sucess. I know it's something to do with the IP/DNS address but I've run out of things to try (I'm only a ...

  1. no internet connection on networked PC

    I've gone through the questions already on here about this and tried a few
    things, but still no sucess. I know it's something to do with the IP/DNS
    address but I've run out of things to try (I'm only a learner so go easy on
    me !!).

    I have 2 PC's with Windows XP. The host PC is fine, no problems. The other
    one at first was running fine. Then it dropped the connection, or rather the
    signal was fine but no connection. I looked through here and found some
    answers about IP address' etc ( when I tried the automatic 'repair' it
    woundln't force it through) so I changed the I.P address to the one on the
    host PC and the connection came up fine, but then it wouldn't allow internet
    access.

    I'm sure it's something simple that I've missed, any idea's?

    Cheers

    Vic

    By the way, the ipconfig on the host is:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hawkesford
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
    Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-89-62-0B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 January 2008 12:46:11
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2008 12:46:11

    And on the other PC it's:
    Node Type: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy enabled: No
    Ethernet Adaptor Wireless Network Connection:
    Physical Address....00-40-05-3E-84-A7
    Dhcp Enabled: No
    I.P Address....192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask...255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway...192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers....192.168.1.1

  2. Re: no internet connection on networked PC

    Hi
    You did not describe the way your whole system is configured (Modem?
    Wireless Router Router? Wireless Ad-Hoc? Cable connections?)
    Your Gateway is 192.168.1.1, and your None working computer IP is
    192.168.0.1
    If You have a Wireless Router it would not work since the two are on a
    different subnet. The first three groups of numbers must be the same.
    Otherwise it depends on the Topology and how it set (which you did not
    described)
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Vic" wrote in message
    > I've gone through the questions already on here about this and tried a few
    > things, but still no sucess. I know it's something to do with the IP/DNS
    > address but I've run out of things to try (I'm only a learner so go easy
    > on
    > me !!).
    >
    > I have 2 PC's with Windows XP. The host PC is fine, no problems. The other
    > one at first was running fine. Then it dropped the connection, or rather
    > the
    > signal was fine but no connection. I looked through here and found some
    > answers about IP address' etc ( when I tried the automatic 'repair' it
    > woundln't force it through) so I changed the I.P address to the one on the
    > host PC and the connection came up fine, but then it wouldn't allow
    > internet
    > access.
    >
    > I'm sure it's something simple that I've missed, any idea's?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Vic
    >
    > By the way, the ipconfig on the host is:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hawkesford
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
    > Controller
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-89-62-0B
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 January 2008 12:46:11
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2008 12:46:11
    >

    > And on the other PC it's:
    > Node Type: Unknown
    > IP Routing Enabled: No
    > WINS Proxy enabled: No
    > Ethernet Adaptor Wireless Network Connection:
    > Physical Address....00-40-05-3E-84-A7
    > Dhcp Enabled: No
    > I.P Address....192.168.0.1
    > Subnet Mask...255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway...192.168.1.1
    > DNS Servers....192.168.1.1

  3. Re: no internet connection on networked PC

    Sorry, the set up is a plug in aerial to a wireless router to a cable modem.
    The signal is fine and the connection is excellent, just won't allow internet.

    I did change the I.P address manually on the none-worjking PC to match the
    host PC, and it connected ecellent, but no internet, so I tried doing the
    installed fix, but it wouldn't even connect with that but it obviously
    changed the I.P address. Will the I.P address change every time you start it
    up? If so I won't be able to manually do it every time.

    Vic

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > You did not describe the way your whole system is configured (Modem?
    > Wireless Router Router? Wireless Ad-Hoc? Cable connections?)
    > Your Gateway is 192.168.1.1, and your None working computer IP is
    > 192.168.0.1
    > If You have a Wireless Router it would not work since the two are on a
    > different subnet. The first three groups of numbers must be the same.
    > Otherwise it depends on the Topology and how it set (which you did not
    > described)
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

  4. Re: no internet connection on networked PC

    Hi
    If you have a Wireless Router both computers converse directly with Wireless
    Router.
    There is No Host PC in such case.
    Both computers should get their IP from the Router, If the working computer
    IP is 192.168.1.2
    the second computer should be 192.168.1.3
    It seems to me that your Wireless is configured in correctly, look at this
    pages and make sure that the Warless is configured correctly.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Vic" wrote in message
    > Sorry, the set up is a plug in aerial to a wireless router to a cable
    > modem.
    > The signal is fine and the connection is excellent, just won't allow
    > internet.
    >
    > I did change the I.P address manually on the none-worjking PC to match the
    > host PC, and it connected ecellent, but no internet, so I tried doing the
    > installed fix, but it wouldn't even connect with that but it obviously
    > changed the I.P address. Will the I.P address change every time you start
    > it
    > up? If so I won't be able to manually do it every time.
    >
    > Vic
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> You did not describe the way your whole system is configured (Modem?
    >> Wireless Router Router? Wireless Ad-Hoc? Cable connections?)
    >> Your Gateway is 192.168.1.1, and your None working computer IP is
    >> 192.168.0.1
    >> If You have a Wireless Router it would not work since the two are on a
    >> different subnet. The first three groups of numbers must be the same.
    >> Otherwise it depends on the Topology and how it set (which you did not
    >> described)
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

+ Reply to Thread