Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ??? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ??? - Wireless ; I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A and I would like to share it ...

  1. Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    Thank You.

  2. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    Hi
    I do not know what 3g Modem is so I can not give you a definite answer.
    In principle the Wireless Router should be connected to Laptop's A as an
    Access Point.
    This page explains how to configure a Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    When it works (depending on what 3g Modem is) you have to configure Windows
    ICS to work as a software Routing agent.
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "rafael" wrote in message
    >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    > -> Laptop B and Laptop C
    >
    > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.
    >
    > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.
    >
    > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?
    >
    > Thank You.

  3. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    "rafael" wrote in message
    >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    > -> Laptop B and Laptop C
    >
    > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.
    >
    > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.
    >
    > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?
    >
    > Thank You.

    Why can't you connect your modem to the LAN through the router? Routers do
    this for a living, but laptops don't.

    Jim

  4. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    On Jan 20, 11:46 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > I do not know what 3g Modem is so I can not give you a definite answer.
    > In principle the Wireless Router should be connected to Laptop's A as an
    > Access Point.
    > This page explains how to configure a Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    > When it works (depending on what 3g Modem is) you have to configure Windows
    > ICS to work as a software Routing agent.http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "rafael" wrote in message

    > >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    > > -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    > > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    > > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    > > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    > > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    > > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    > > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    > > Thank You.

    3G Modem is a dial up modem.
    Ok i will try the link u provide...Thanx...

    I tried using a switch/hub, it works...but not with the router...Thats
    why i kind of confuse...

  5. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    On Jan 21, 1:26 am, "Jim" wrote:
    > "rafael" wrote in message

    > >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    > > -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    > > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    > > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    > > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    > > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    > > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    > > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    > > Thank You.

    > Why can't you connect your modem to the LAN through the router? Routers do
    > this for a living, but laptops don't.

    - Because, the dial-up modem need a username/password to be dial
    through....

    > Jim

  6. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    wrote:
    > Hi
    > I do not know what 3g Modem is so I can not give you a definite answer.
    > In principle the Wireless Router should be connected to Laptop's A as an
    > Access Point.
    > This page explains how to configure a Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    > When it works (depending on what 3g Modem is) you have to configure Windows
    > ICS to work as a software Routing agent.http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "rafael" wrote in message

    > >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    > > -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    > > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    > > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    > > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    > > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    > > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    > > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    > > Thank You.

    I have set the Laptop A IP - 192.168.1.3
    Laptop B with IP - 192.168.1.4 and gateway 192.168.1.3, but still
    Laptop B can't access the internet...

    Do i need to set anything on the Router ? Do i need to set the Gateway
    to Laptop A (192.168.1.3) ??

  7. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    "rafael" wrote in message
    > On Jan 21, 1:26 am, "Jim" wrote:
    >> "rafael" wrote in message

    >> >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    >> > -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    >> > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    >> > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    >> > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    >> > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    >> > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    >> > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    >> > Thank You.

    >> Why can't you connect your modem to the LAN through the router? Routers
    >> do
    >> this for a living, but laptops don't.

    > - Because, the dial-up modem need a username/password to be dial
    > through....
    >

    >> Jim

    It isn't the modem which needs those things; it is your isp. Your router
    can surely control a dialup modem.
    For example, I have DSL. The connection is PPOE, and the modem must dial
    the ISP every time that it
    connects. My router sends the info to the modem which then sends it to the
    ISP which finally makes the
    connection. If I didn't have a router, my computer would send the message
    to the modem. All a modem does
    is convert signals from one format to another, and that is enough of a task
    as it is.

    Jim

  8. Re: Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ???

    Hi
    The Router has to be set as an Access Point.
    This page describes the principle, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "rafael" wrote in message
    > On Jan 20, 11:46 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I do not know what 3g Modem is so I can not give you a definite answer.
    >> In principle the Wireless Router should be connected to Laptop's A as an
    >> Access Point.
    >> This page explains how to configure a Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    >> When it works (depending on what 3g Modem is) you have to configure
    >> Windows
    >> ICS to work as a software Routing
    >> agent.http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "rafael" wrote in message

    >> >I need help...I would like to do this ---- Laptop A -> Wireless Router
    >> > -> Laptop B and Laptop C

    >> > I have a internet connection using a 3g modem connected to Laptop A
    >> > and I would like to share it with Laptop B and Laptop C.

    >> > Thus I used a Linksys Wireless Router to bridge it. so Laptop B &
    >> > Laptop C can have internet access through Laptop A using Wifi/cable.

    >> > The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    >> > What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    >> > Thank You.

    > I have set the Laptop A IP - 192.168.1.3
    > Laptop B with IP - 192.168.1.4 and gateway 192.168.1.3, but still
    > Laptop B can't access the internet...
    >
    > Do i need to set anything on the Router ? Do i need to set the Gateway
    > to Laptop A (192.168.1.3) ??

+ Reply to Thread