Security Settings - Wireless

This is a discussion on Security Settings - Wireless ; Hello, I have just set up my new Westell Gateway modem/router. When I select security type, it gives me a choice for WPA (any) or WPA. Then for encryption I have a choice of TKIP or AES. I am not ...

  1. Security Settings

    Hello, I have just set up my new Westell Gateway modem/router. When I select
    security type, it gives me a choice for WPA (any) or WPA. Then for
    encryption I have a choice of TKIP or AES. I am not sure what two to select.
    For now they are set at WPA and TKIP as default settings. I would appreciate
    it if someone could let me know what settings are the best for wireless
    security. By the way, my desk top is a Dell running XP and my laptop is a
    Toshiba running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Thanks in advance. Bill

  2. Re: Security Settings

    "Bill T." wrote in message
    > Hello, I have just set up my new Westell Gateway modem/router. When I
    > select security type, it gives me a choice for WPA (any) or WPA. Then for
    > encryption I have a choice of TKIP or AES. I am not sure what two to
    > select. For now they are set at WPA and TKIP as default settings. I would
    > appreciate it if someone could let me know what settings are the best for
    > wireless security. By the way, my desk top is a Dell running XP and my
    > laptop is a Toshiba running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Thanks in advance.
    > Bill

    Aren't TKIP and AES just two encryption modes for WPA?
    If I remember correctly, the more secure setting would be WPA-AES (unless
    you have WPA2 as a choice).
    Jim

  3. Re: Security Settings

    Hi
    If your card and Wireless Router can do WPA-AES use it.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security -

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bill T." wrote in message
    > Hello, I have just set up my new Westell Gateway modem/router. When I
    > select security type, it gives me a choice for WPA (any) or WPA. Then for
    > encryption I have a choice of TKIP or AES. I am not sure what two to
    > select. For now they are set at WPA and TKIP as default settings. I would
    > appreciate it if someone could let me know what settings are the best for
    > wireless security. By the way, my desk top is a Dell running XP and my
    > laptop is a Toshiba running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Thanks in advance.
    > Bill

  4. Re: Security Settings

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:07:43 -0600, "Jim" wrote:

    >Aren't TKIP and AES just two encryption modes for WPA?
    >If I remember correctly, the more secure setting would be WPA-AES (unless
    >you have WPA2 as a choice).

    That's correct.

    AES is the more secure because it's based on the rc5 block cipher but
    requires different hardware than was used on early WEP enabled
    devices.

    TKIP is based on the RC4 stream cipher and isn't as secure as AES but
    can be run on the same hardware as WEP and so could be released as a
    software only upgrade to WEP without the need to buy new hardware.

    The network will only be as secure as its weakest link. In the OP's
    case everything can handle AES so that is the one which should be
    used.

    In either case a passphrase of 20+ characters is recommended.

    Jim.

  5. Re: Security Settings

    Thank you all for your advice, it was very helpful. I will set it
    accordingly.

    "Bill T." wrote in message
    > Hello, I have just set up my new Westell Gateway modem/router. When I
    > select security type, it gives me a choice for WPA (any) or WPA. Then for
    > encryption I have a choice of TKIP or AES. I am not sure what two to
    > select. For now they are set at WPA and TKIP as default settings. I would
    > appreciate it if someone could let me know what settings are the best for
    > wireless security. By the way, my desk top is a Dell running XP and my
    > laptop is a Toshiba running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Thanks in advance.
    > Bill

+ Reply to Thread