now always need to reset adapter on startup - Wireless

This is a discussion on now always need to reset adapter on startup - Wireless ; Hello. This used to happen here and there but it seems now it always happens when I startup my computer (ie. wireless/networking not working - ipconfig /release and /renew fixes it [but takes some time]). Here are the details... Dell ...

  1. now always need to reset adapter on startup

    Hello. This used to happen here and there but it seems now it always
    happens when I startup my computer (ie. wireless/networking not
    working - ipconfig /release and /renew fixes it [but takes some
    time]). Here are the details...

    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Windows XP (latest released SP/patches)
    AirLink Plus USB wireless adapter
    Linksys 54G Router
    AT&T/Yahoo DSL

    Sometimes if I use Firefox to go to 192.168.1.1, check status, etc -
    it starts working again on its own. Otherwise if the router isn't
    even accessible, I do the /release /renew; then I can access the
    router pretty quick but it seems that the rest of the 'net can't be
    accessed until I go to the router admin page and try something like
    TraceRoute or Ping and then everything else seems to immediately start
    working. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a short or long time
    between shutdown/startup.

    Is there some sort of cache/setting/whatever in Windows/router/etc
    that can change/fix/improve this? Thanks!

  2. Re: now always need to reset adapter on startup

    Hi
    Do you start the computer when the Router is Off or out of range?
    Look first at his page and evaluate the Wireless setting,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "sdaws" wrote in message

    > Hello. This used to happen here and there but it seems now it always
    > happens when I startup my computer (ie. wireless/networking not
    > working - ipconfig /release and /renew fixes it [but takes some
    > time]). Here are the details...
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 8200
    > Windows XP (latest released SP/patches)
    > AirLink Plus USB wireless adapter
    > Linksys 54G Router
    > AT&T/Yahoo DSL
    >
    > Sometimes if I use Firefox to go to 192.168.1.1, check status, etc -
    > it starts working again on its own. Otherwise if the router isn't
    > even accessible, I do the /release /renew; then I can access the
    > router pretty quick but it seems that the rest of the 'net can't be
    > accessed until I go to the router admin page and try something like
    > TraceRoute or Ping and then everything else seems to immediately start
    > working. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a short or long time
    > between shutdown/startup.
    >
    > Is there some sort of cache/setting/whatever in Windows/router/etc
    > that can change/fix/improve this? Thanks!

  3. Re: now always need to reset adapter on startup

    No - router is always on and nearby. I'll check out the link. Thanks
    for your reply!

    On Jan 18, 6:14 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > Do you start the computer when the Router is Off or out of range?
    > Look first at his page and evaluate the Wireless setting,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "sdaws" wrote in message

    > > Hello. This used to happen here and there but it seems now it always
    > > happens when I startup my computer (ie. wireless/networking not
    > > working - ipconfig /release and /renew fixes it [but takes some
    > > time]). Here are the details...

    > > Dell Inspiron 8200
    > > Windows XP (latest released SP/patches)
    > > AirLink Plus USB wireless adapter
    > > Linksys 54G Router
    > > AT&T/Yahoo DSL

    > > Sometimes if I use Firefox to go to 192.168.1.1, check status, etc -
    > > it starts working again on its own. Otherwise if the router isn't
    > > even accessible, I do the /release /renew; then I can access the
    > > router pretty quick but it seems that the rest of the 'net can't be
    > > accessed until I go to the router admin page and try something like
    > > TraceRoute or Ping and then everything else seems to immediately start
    > > working. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a short or long time
    > > between shutdown/startup.

    > > Is there some sort of cache/setting/whatever in Windows/router/etc
    > > that can change/fix/improve this? Thanks!

  4. Re: now always need to reset adapter on startup

    I checked the link and read a bunch of the info but I don't think
    anything there really applied. When I turned on my notebook today, I
    couldn't get the wireless to work at all so I had to reboot; then
    shut off for a while and restart for it to finally work. So with this
    and the fact that I didn't change any related settings recently
    (although I did download Windows updates which may have done
    something), maybe it's just the wireless adapter being finicky /
    getting old.

    Another issue if you know the answer or have a pointer - when I try to
    copy files from one computer to another over a wireless setup, I can
    only get a few small files to go before there's a disconnect/timeout
    and I have to restart the copying (large files almost never make it) -
    this was with a few different notebooks and a couple different
    wireless locations (my apt and a friend's apt). Any way to get things
    to copy/move easier and/or be more forgiving on glitches?

    Thanks!

    wrote:
    > Hi
    > Do you start the computer when the Router is Off or out of range?
    > Look first at his page and evaluate the Wireless setting,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "sdaws" wrote in message

    > > Hello. This used to happen here and there but it seems now it always
    > > happens when I startup my computer (ie. wireless/networking not
    > > working - ipconfig /release and /renew fixes it [but takes some
    > > time]). Here are the details...

    > > Dell Inspiron 8200
    > > Windows XP (latest released SP/patches)
    > > AirLink Plus USB wireless adapter
    > > Linksys 54G Router
    > > AT&T/Yahoo DSL

    > > Sometimes if I use Firefox to go to 192.168.1.1, check status, etc -
    > > it starts working again on its own. Otherwise if the router isn't
    > > even accessible, I do the /release /renew; then I can access the
    > > router pretty quick but it seems that the rest of the 'net can't be
    > > accessed until I go to the router admin page and try something like
    > > TraceRoute or Ping and then everything else seems to immediately start
    > > working. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a short or long time
    > > between shutdown/startup.

    > > Is there some sort of cache/setting/whatever in Windows/router/etc
    > > that can change/fix/improve this? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread