upgrade router? - Wireless

This is a discussion on upgrade router? - Wireless ; I am using a linksys wireless B router-2.4 GH 802.11b. to connect 2 desktops and 2 laptops. On "my" computer (a desktop) i use a netgear WG111 adapter. Will upgrading the router and adapter make my computer faster? I am ...

  1. upgrade router?

    I am using a linksys wireless B router-2.4 GH 802.11b. to connect 2 desktops
    and 2 laptops. On "my" computer (a desktop) i use a netgear WG111 adapter.
    Will upgrading the router and adapter make my computer faster? I am running
    Windows XP and have noticed a big slowdown on my computer. I have done all
    the spyware and antivirus checks recommended in the discussion groups and
    nothing seems to help. Could the router be the problem?
    --
    Janice

  2. Re: upgrade router?

    Hi
    If your Internet connection at the modem is Faster than your Wireless
    connection a faster Wireless would provide better Internet.
    If you do a lot of file transfer between local computers, a faster Wireless
    would provide faster Network transfer.
    However the Router and or the Wireless has nothing what so ever to do with
    the speed of the computer itself.
    Check your computer for Viruses and Spyware, then go through this process,
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Janice" wrote in message
    >I am using a linksys wireless B router-2.4 GH 802.11b. to connect 2
    >desktops
    > and 2 laptops. On "my" computer (a desktop) i use a netgear WG111
    > adapter.
    > Will upgrading the router and adapter make my computer faster? I am
    > running
    > Windows XP and have noticed a big slowdown on my computer. I have done all
    > the spyware and antivirus checks recommended in the discussion groups and
    > nothing seems to help. Could the router be the problem?
    > --
    > Janice

  3. Re: upgrade router?

    "Janice" wrote in message
    >I am using a linksys wireless B router-2.4 GH 802.11b. to connect 2
    >desktops
    > and 2 laptops. On "my" computer (a desktop) i use a netgear WG111
    > adapter.
    > Will upgrading the router and adapter make my computer faster? I am
    > running
    > Windows XP and have noticed a big slowdown on my computer. I have done all
    > the spyware and antivirus checks recommended in the discussion groups and
    > nothing seems to help. Could the router be the problem?
    > --
    > Janice

    A wireless G router will allow quicker transfers between the router and a
    computer
    with a wireless G adapter. In short, to see significant improvements in
    transfer time, the
    router and all computers must be using wireless G.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread