Remote Assistance - Wireless

This is a discussion on Remote Assistance - Wireless ; I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the ...

  1. Remote Assistance

    I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a
    friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself
    I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the D-Link
    support site) but am getting stuck with certain basic things half way
    through (working out IP addresses and such). I'm afraid also of messing up
    my router as it is set up now and working fine and don't know how I would
    revert back to my original settings, if I need to.

    I am running XP Home, I have a D-Link ADSL modem DSL 302G and a router
    DI-524.

    Also what does the party at the other end have to do to allow remote
    assistance, if this is at all complicated I will have to give up the idea of
    helping in this way.

    Not certain if this is the correct newsgroup to post to or not.

    TIA

    B.W.

  2. Re: Remote Assistance

    I'm not sure, but I think both computers have to be on XP Pro in order to
    have the ability for Remote Assistance. It won't work on XP Home.

    "B.W." wrote in message
    >I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a
    >friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself
    >I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the D-Link
    >support site) but am getting stuck with certain basic things half way
    >through (working out IP addresses and such). I'm afraid also of messing up
    >my router as it is set up now and working fine and don't know how I would
    >revert back to my original settings, if I need to.
    >
    > I am running XP Home, I have a D-Link ADSL modem DSL 302G and a router
    > DI-524.
    >
    > Also what does the party at the other end have to do to allow remote
    > assistance, if this is at all complicated I will have to give up the idea
    > of helping in this way.
    >
    > Not certain if this is the correct newsgroup to post to or not.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > B.W.

  3. Re: Remote Assistance

    Hi
    The computer to be controlled has to be WinXP Pro.
    The controlling computer can be Win XP Home with this installed,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    Otherwise, if you can upgrade to WinXP Pro you can try this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "B.W." wrote in message
    >I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a
    >friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself
    >I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the D-Link
    >support site) but am getting stuck with certain basic things half way
    >through (working out IP addresses and such). I'm afraid also of messing up
    >my router as it is set up now and working fine and don't know how I would
    >revert back to my original settings, if I need to.
    >
    > I am running XP Home, I have a D-Link ADSL modem DSL 302G and a router
    > DI-524.
    >
    > Also what does the party at the other end have to do to allow remote
    > assistance, if this is at all complicated I will have to give up the idea
    > of helping in this way.
    >
    > Not certain if this is the correct newsgroup to post to or not.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > B.W.

  4. Re: Remote Assistance

    take a look at this -> http://www.uvnc.com/ and
    http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/ I used this to help my friends.

    > Hi
    > The computer to be controlled has to be WinXP Pro.
    > The controlling computer can be Win XP Home with this installed,
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    > Otherwise, if you can upgrade to WinXP Pro you can try this,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "B.W." wrote in message
    >>I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a
    >>friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself
    >>I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the D-Link
    >>support site) but am getting stuck with certain basic things half way
    >>through (working out IP addresses and such). I'm afraid also of messing up
    >>my router as it is set up now and working fine and don't know how I would
    >>revert back to my original settings, if I need to.
    >>
    >> I am running XP Home, I have a D-Link ADSL modem DSL 302G and a router
    >> DI-524.
    >>
    >> Also what does the party at the other end have to do to allow remote
    >> assistance, if this is at all complicated I will have to give up the idea
    >> of helping in this way.
    >>
    >> Not certain if this is the correct newsgroup to post to or not.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> B.W.

  5. Re: Remote Assistance

    Thanks for all that information, I will certainly look at the two software
    options as I am only running XP Home edition.

    thank you

    B.W.

    "Benedictum" wrote in message
    > take a look at this -> http://www.uvnc.com/ and
    > http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/ I used this to help my friends.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> The computer to be controlled has to be WinXP Pro.
    >> The controlling computer can be Win XP Home with this installed,
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    >> Otherwise, if you can upgrade to WinXP Pro you can try this,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "B.W." wrote in message
    >>>I would like to try and use remote assistance to help, in a small way, a
    >>>friend with continuos basic problems. I am very router illiterate myself
    >>>I'm afraid. I have a step by step procedure to follow (from the D-Link
    >>>support site) but am getting stuck with certain basic things half way
    >>>through (working out IP addresses and such). I'm afraid also of messing
    >>>up my router as it is set up now and working fine and don't know how I
    >>>would revert back to my original settings, if I need to.
    >>>
    >>> I am running XP Home, I have a D-Link ADSL modem DSL 302G and a router
    >>> DI-524.
    >>>
    >>> Also what does the party at the other end have to do to allow remote
    >>> assistance, if this is at all complicated I will have to give up the
    >>> idea of helping in this way.
    >>>
    >>> Not certain if this is the correct newsgroup to post to or not.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> B.W.

+ Reply to Thread