Re: USING (not connecting) a Microsoft VPN connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Re: USING (not connecting) a Microsoft VPN connection - Wireless ; A VPN connection just gives you an IP connection. It is not a LAN connection. It does not carry broadcasts. Can you ping the other machine by it IP address? Can you ping by name? If not you need a ...

  1. Re: USING (not connecting) a Microsoft VPN connection

    A VPN connection just gives you an IP connection. It is not a LAN
    connection. It does not carry broadcasts.

    Can you ping the other machine by it IP address? Can you ping by name?
    If not you need a HOSTS or LMHOSTS file for name resolution.

    When you can ping by name, you should be able to see its shares by
    doing " net view \\computername" If you can see the shares, you can map
    them using "net use z: \\computernme\filename ".

    "Olumide" <50295@web.de> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > So I've made my first VPN connection between two winxp machines and it
    > was very easy. My question is what next? How do I actually copy files
    > from one machine to the other. All the helps I've found on the
    > internet just stop at establishing the connection.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > - Olumide

  2. Re: USING (not connecting) a Microsoft VPN connection

    > "Olumide" <50...@web.de> wrote in message

    > > Hi -

    > > So I've made my first VPN connection between two winxp machines and it
    > > was very easy. My question is what next? How do I actually copy files
    > > from one machine to the other. All the helps I've found on the
    > > internet just stop at establishing the connection.

    > > Thanks

    > - VPN connections are normally used to expand a company's network by
    > - allowing "remote" users to access the central network. If correctly
    > - configured, you can share files, printer and access other systems.

    That is true, but not much help to the OP. As he said his connection is
    between two XP machines. In a case like that you have to go back to basics.
    You cannot rely on the LAN infrastructure if none exists.

+ Reply to Thread