802.11 question... - Wireless

This is a discussion on 802.11 question... - Wireless ; Hi, I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinity in my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the same approach work in ...

  1. 802.11 question...

    Hi,

    I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with
    DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinity in
    my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the
    same approach work in Vista as well? If not, what changes would be required?
    Also, does Vista have the ntddndis.h file which has the declaration for
    these OIDs?

    Thanks in advance....

  2. Re: 802.11 question...

    "Varunt" wrote in message news:3E0FDBC6-6064-4958-987E-40CCF6A19B77@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with
    > DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinity in
    > my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the
    > same approach work in Vista as well? If not, what changes would be required?
    > Also, does Vista have the ntddndis.h file which has the declaration for
    > these OIDs?

    Look in MSDN for "native wi-fi" API.

    Regards,
    --PA

  3. Re: 802.11 question...

    On Jan 16, 6:13*am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > "Varunt" wrote in messagenews:3E0FDBC6-6064-4958-987E-40CCF6A19B77@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,

    > > I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with
    > > DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinityin
    > > my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the
    > > same approach work in Vista as well? If not, what changes would be required?
    > > Also, does Vista have the ntddndis.h file which has the declaration for
    > > these OIDs?

    > Look in MSDN for "native wi-fi" API.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    Appretiate the help. Native Wifi is a good approach..But it would not
    work on Windows XP. Since the application needs to run on both XP and
    Vista, preferabley I would like to keep a common approach to getting
    the information. If this is not possible, then I need to be sure that
    the definitions of the OIDs like OID_802_11_XXX would still be
    available in Vista (The code needs to compile in Vista). Would be
    great if you could point this out.

    PS: Dont have a Vista System as of now. So cannot investigate this....

  4. Re: 802.11 question...

    Varun" wrote in message news:d0c616e2-bb9e-4dc9-8e86-672d2d56cb4a@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    On Jan 16, 6:13 am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > "Varunt" wrote in messagenews:3E0FDBC6-6064-4958-987E-40CCF6A19B77@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,

    > > I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with
    > > DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinity in
    > > my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the
    > > same approach work in Vista as well? If not, what changes would be required?
    > > Also, does Vista have the ntddndis.h file which has the declaration for
    > > these OIDs?

    > Look in MSDN for "native wi-fi" API.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    >Appretiate the help. Native Wifi is a good approach..But it would not
    >work on Windows XP. Since the application needs to run on both XP and
    >Vista, preferabley I would like to keep a common approach to getting
    >the information. If this is not possible, then I need to be sure that
    >the definitions of the OIDs like OID_802_11_XXX would still be
    >available in Vista (The code needs to compile in Vista). Would be
    >great if you could point this out.
    >
    >PS: Dont have a Vista System as of now. So cannot investigate this....

    A subset of WLAN API does work on XP.
    This API can be installed on XP SP2 as update, and AFAIK is included in the SP3.
    Also, you don't need Vista to compile the code; just install the SDK 6000+ on XP.

    Please follow in one of developers NGs or MSDN forums if you need more help with using the WLAN API.

    --PA

  5. Re: 802.11 question...

    "Pavel A." wrote in message news:%2353RjNeWIHA.4696@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    > Varun" wrote in message news:d0c616e2-bb9e-4dc9-8e86-672d2d56cb4a@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > On Jan 16, 6:13 am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    >> "Varunt" wrote in messagenews:3E0FDBC6-6064-4958-987E-40CCF6A19B77@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I am using the OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN & OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST oid with
    >> > DeviceIoControl to get the information of all the BSSIDs in the vicinity in
    >> > my Application. Now I have to make the application Vista compatible. Will the
    >> > same approach work in Vista as well? If not, what changes would be required?
    >> > Also, does Vista have the ntddndis.h file which has the declaration for
    >> > these OIDs?

    >> Look in MSDN for "native wi-fi" API.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA

    >>Appretiate the help. Native Wifi is a good approach..But it would not
    >>work on Windows XP. Since the application needs to run on both XP and
    >>Vista, preferabley I would like to keep a common approach to getting
    >>the information. If this is not possible, then I need to be sure that
    >>the definitions of the OIDs like OID_802_11_XXX would still be
    >>available in Vista (The code needs to compile in Vista). Would be
    >>great if you could point this out.
    >>
    >>PS: Dont have a Vista System as of now. So cannot investigate this....

    > A subset of WLAN API does work on XP.
    > This API can be installed on XP SP2 as update, and AFAIK is included in the SP3.
    > Also, you don't need Vista to compile the code; just install the SDK 6000+ on XP.
    >
    > Please follow in one of developers NGs or MSDN forums if you need more help with using the WLAN API.

    More over - the 802_11 OIDs that you've mentioned, are not used
    by the new ndis6 drivers. Even if some drivers still seem to respond to them,
    it may be a leftover from ndis 5 code, and it will be removed in later updates.

    Sorry, the life isn't that easy... (as a consolation - in Linux it gets _much_ worse!)

    Regards,
    --PA

+ Reply to Thread