Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key - Wireless ; I am trying to connect to a Security-enabled wireless netowork. I have the key. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to enter it. When I try to connect I open the "view available networks" window. ...

  1. Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key

    I am trying to connect to a Security-enabled wireless netowork. I
    have the key. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to
    enter it. When I try to connect I open the "view available networks"
    window. I see the network name and it shows a strong signal (all 5
    green bars). I hit connect, hoping that a window will open asking for
    the network key. Instead I get an error message saying "Windows is
    unable to connect to the selectednetwork. The network may no longer
    be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
    to connect again.". How do I go about entering the key and connecting
    to the network?

    Thanks,
    H.

  2. Re: Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key

    did you change the SSID from the default ? if you didn't, you may be
    trying to connect to someone else's network. please post the text
    output of ipconfig /all and what router, brand, model, hardware rev
    you are trying to connect to. what version of Windows?

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key

    Hi
    This type of behavior means that either the Network is Not available any
    more, or the signal at the moment is too weak to establish a connection.
    If you need more focused answer you have to describe the Network components
    (Access Point, Wireless client).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Hubert" wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect to a Security-enabled wireless netowork. I
    > have the key. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to
    > enter it. When I try to connect I open the "view available networks"
    > window. I see the network name and it shows a strong signal (all 5
    > green bars). I hit connect, hoping that a window will open asking for
    > the network key. Instead I get an error message saying "Windows is
    > unable to connect to the selectednetwork. The network may no longer
    > be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
    > to connect again.". How do I go about entering the key and connecting
    > to the network?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > H.

  4. Re: Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key

    I know this is late but in case someone googles into this.
    In XP, go into the setup for the preferred order of the wireless networks (on the left of the 'view wireless networks screen'). Then hit add.. Enter in the SSID manually and the network details (security type, key etc) it should now work.

  5. Smile Re: Can't connect to network: Windows not asking me for network key

    Quote Originally Posted by fixUnitUser View Post
    I know this is late but in case someone googles into this.
    In XP, go into the setup for the preferred order of the wireless networks (on the left of the 'view wireless networks screen'). Then hit add.. Enter in the SSID manually and the network details (security type, key etc) it should now work.
    Wow! Thanks for this 1188499, been mucking around for days trying to get my XP going again after an router upgrade. All the "experts" couldn't help, this did it in a couple of minutes!!! Heavens knows why it doesn't work like the router and XP info says to do it!

+ Reply to Thread