Mac Address Filtering - Wireless

This is a discussion on Mac Address Filtering - Wireless ; I want to enable mac address filtering for my Toshiba laptop running Vista Home Premium, It is wireless. My desktop is a Dell Dimension running XP hooked up to a Westell Versalink 327w. My queston is, do i have to ...

  1. Mac Address Filtering

    I want to enable mac address filtering for my Toshiba laptop running Vista
    Home Premium, It is wireless. My desktop is a Dell Dimension running XP
    hooked up to a Westell Versalink 327w. My queston is, do i have to enable
    mac filtering for the desktop as well as my Toshiba? Or is it just for
    wireless devices? Thanks

  2. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Bill T. wrote:
    > I want to enable mac address filtering for my Toshiba laptop running
    > Vista Home Premium, It is wireless. My desktop is a Dell Dimension
    > running XP hooked up to a Westell Versalink 327w. My queston is, do i
    > have to enable mac filtering for the desktop as well as my Toshiba? Or
    > is it just for wireless devices? Thanks

    It depends on what you want to do and the capabilities of your router.

    Some wireless routers have the capability to limit wireless access based
    on MAC address. This is not entirely worthless as a security measure,
    but it's close. If wireless security is a concern (and it should be),
    enable WPA2 encryption, use a strong password, and forget about MAC
    address filtering and disabling SSID broadcast.

    Some routers also can limit Internet access (this isn't the same as
    access to the LAN) based on MAC address. This capability is not limited
    to computers that are connected to the router via a wireless connection.
    Linksys routers, for example, can limit Internet access based on
    either IP or MAC address.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  3. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Could you recommend a good router/modem, one that would be WPA2 capable as
    well as easy to set up and configure? Thanks
    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Bill T. wrote:
    >> I want to enable mac address filtering for my Toshiba laptop running
    >> Vista Home Premium, It is wireless. My desktop is a Dell Dimension
    >> running XP hooked up to a Westell Versalink 327w. My queston is, do i
    >> have to enable mac filtering for the desktop as well as my Toshiba? Or is
    >> it just for wireless devices? Thanks

    > It depends on what you want to do and the capabilities of your router.
    >
    > Some wireless routers have the capability to limit wireless access based
    > on MAC address. This is not entirely worthless as a security measure, but
    > it's close. If wireless security is a concern (and it should be), enable
    > WPA2 encryption, use a strong password, and forget about MAC address
    > filtering and disabling SSID broadcast.
    >
    > Some routers also can limit Internet access (this isn't the same as access
    > to the LAN) based on MAC address. This capability is not limited to
    > computers that are connected to the router via a wireless connection.
    > Linksys routers, for example, can limit Internet access based on either IP
    > or MAC address.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  4. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    "Bill T." wrote in message
    > Could you recommend a good router/modem, one that would be WPA2 capable as
    > well as easy to set up and configure? Thanks
    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> Bill T. wrote:
    >>> I want to enable mac address filtering for my Toshiba laptop running
    >>> Vista Home Premium, It is wireless. My desktop is a Dell Dimension
    >>> running XP hooked up to a Westell Versalink 327w. My queston is, do i
    >>> have to enable mac filtering for the desktop as well as my Toshiba? Or
    >>> is it just for wireless devices? Thanks

    >> It depends on what you want to do and the capabilities of your router.
    >>
    >> Some wireless routers have the capability to limit wireless access based
    >> on MAC address. This is not entirely worthless as a security measure,
    >> but it's close. If wireless security is a concern (and it should be),
    >> enable WPA2 encryption, use a strong password, and forget about MAC
    >> address filtering and disabling SSID broadcast.
    >>
    >> Some routers also can limit Internet access (this isn't the same as
    >> access to the LAN) based on MAC address. This capability is not limited
    >> to computers that are connected to the router via a wireless connection.
    >> Linksys routers, for example, can limit Internet access based on either
    >> IP or MAC address.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    Wouldn't you say that SSID broadcast off plus MAC address filtering are
    useful *in addition* to the rest?

  5. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    I was wondering that myself. When i asked Verizon to help me set up my
    wireless security, they enabled the WEP, assigned a key and said that was
    all that was needed. I specifically asked about the MAC filtering and SSID
    , and they insisted that WEP being enabled was enough. I then called back
    later and asked for a WPA or better router and the said all they had was WEP
    routers. Can you beleive that? This is my ISP saying this. The more i ask
    about this the more confusing it gets.

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:4789f1dc$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

    > "Bill T." wrote in message
    >> Could you recommend a good router/modem, one that would be WPA2 capable
    >> as well as easy to set up and configure? Thanks
    >> "Lem" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> It depends on what you want to do and the capabilities of your router.
    >>>
    >>> Some wireless routers have the capability to limit wireless access based
    >>> on MAC address. This is not entirely worthless as a security measure,
    >>> but it's close. If wireless security is a concern (and it should be),
    >>> enable WPA2 encryption, use a strong password, and forget about MAC
    >>> address filtering and disabling SSID broadcast.
    >>>
    >>> Some routers also can limit Internet access (this isn't the same as
    >>> access to the LAN) based on MAC address. This capability is not limited
    >>> to computers that are connected to the router via a wireless connection.
    >>> Linksys routers, for example, can limit Internet access based on either
    >>> IP or MAC address.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    > Wouldn't you say that SSID broadcast off plus MAC address filtering are
    > useful *in addition* to the rest?

  6. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    do you have DSL or FIOS? what router did they supply? don't be
    confused. WEP can be cracked in less time than it takes to read this
    thread. see http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/index.php?p=41 for
    an example. if Verizon is telling you WEP is good enough, ask them
    to read that article.

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:21:11 -0500, "Bill T."
    wrote:

    >I was wondering that myself. When i asked Verizon to help me set up my
    >wireless security, they enabled the WEP, assigned a key and said that was
    >all that was needed. I specifically asked about the MAC filtering and SSID
    >, and they insisted that WEP being enabled was enough. I then called back
    >later and asked for a WPA or better router and the said all they had was WEP
    >routers. Can you beleive that? This is my ISP saying this. The more i ask
    >about this the more confusing it gets.
    >

    >"Suzy" wrote in message news:4789f1dc$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >>
    >> "Bill T." wrote in message
    >>> Could you recommend a good router/modem, one that would be WPA2 capable
    >>> as well as easy to set up and configure? Thanks
    >>> "Lem" wrote in message

    >> Wouldn't you say that SSID broadcast off plus MAC address filtering are
    >> useful *in addition* to the rest?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  7. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Verizon set me up with a Westell Versalink 327w. I have Verizon DSL. If I
    were to upgrade my AP what would you suggest? Thanks
    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    newskfko391j0li0l92l448buq4pg9tbkimge@4ax.com...
    > do you have DSL or FIOS? what router did they supply? don't be
    > confused. WEP can be cracked in less time than it takes to read this
    > thread. see http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/index.php?p=41 for
    > an example. if Verizon is telling you WEP is good enough, ask them
    > to read that article.
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:21:11 -0500, "Bill T."
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I was wondering that myself. When i asked Verizon to help me set up my
    >>wireless security, they enabled the WEP, assigned a key and said that was
    >>all that was needed. I specifically asked about the MAC filtering and
    >>SSID
    >>, and they insisted that WEP being enabled was enough. I then called back
    >>later and asked for a WPA or better router and the said all they had was
    >>WEP
    >>routers. Can you beleive that? This is my ISP saying this. The more i ask
    >>about this the more confusing it gets.
    >>

    >>"Suzy" wrote in message news:4789f1dc$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >>>
    >>> "Bill T." wrote in message

    >>> Wouldn't you say that SSID broadcast off plus MAC address filtering are
    >>> useful *in addition* to the rest?
    >>>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Check dslreports.com
    Apparently you have an old Versalink 327w made in China. the newer
    ones made in the USA support WPA. I'd call back and keep asking for
    a supervisor and tell them that you found the information on
    dslreports that the older made in China version doesn't support WPA
    but that the newer ones do and firmly ask them to swap your
    hardware. DO read the forums there.

    here is one of the threads

    you might want to ask if they have a different brand available as
    well.

    I use D-Link routers here with a cable model. I like the DIR 655 and
    the DGL4500. there are older and cheaper models that are pretty
    decent, like the DGL-4300.

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:07:51 -0500, "Bill T."
    wrote:

    >Verizon set me up with a Westell Versalink 327w. I have Verizon DSL. If I
    >were to upgrade my AP what would you suggest? Thanks
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >newskfko391j0li0l92l448buq4pg9tbkimge@4ax.com...
    >> do you have DSL or FIOS? what router did they supply? don't be
    >> confused. WEP can be cracked in less time than it takes to read this
    >> thread. see http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/index.php?p=41 for
    >> an example. if Verizon is telling you WEP is good enough, ask them
    >> to read that article.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:21:11 -0500, "Bill T."
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was wondering that myself. When i asked Verizon to help me set up my
    >>>wireless security, they enabled the WEP, assigned a key and said that was
    >>>all that was needed. I specifically asked about the MAC filtering and
    >>>SSID
    >>>, and they insisted that WEP being enabled was enough. I then called back
    >>>later and asked for a WPA or better router and the said all they had was
    >>>WEP
    >>>routers. Can you beleive that? This is my ISP saying this. The more i ask
    >>>about this the more confusing it gets.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  9. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Suzy wrote:

    > Wouldn't you say that SSID broadcast off plus MAC address filtering are
    > useful *in addition* to the rest?

    In a word, No.

    See:
    http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/ar...ess-ssids.aspx

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  10. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Hello Barb, I contacted Verizon Support today and asked for a NEW modem that
    will support WPA or higher encryption, and they said that my modem was out
    of warranty, but that they would sell me one for $49.00. I didnt think that
    that was a bad deal for the newer up to date encrytion so i ordered it. Now
    my next question is besides enabeling the WPA, what else should i enable to
    be safe with this wireless connection? Thank you for your advice.

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  11. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    What model are they sending you? For sure, change the SSID, use a
    password on the administrative login.

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:59:59 -0500, "Bill T."
    wrote:

    >Hello Barb, I contacted Verizon Support today and asked for a NEW modem that
    >will support WPA or higher encryption, and they said that my modem was out
    >of warranty, but that they would sell me one for $49.00. I didnt think that
    >that was a bad deal for the newer up to date encrytion so i ordered it. Now
    >my next question is besides enabeling the WPA, what else should i enable to
    >be safe with this wireless connection? Thank you for your advice.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> Check dslreports.com
    >> Apparently you have an old Versalink 327w made in China. the newer
    >> ones made in the USA support WPA. I'd call back and keep asking for
    >> a supervisor and tell them that you found the information on
    >> dslreports that the older made in China version doesn't support WPA
    >> but that the newer ones do and firmly ask them to swap your
    >> hardware. DO read the forums there.
    >>
    >> here is one of the threads
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13747078
    >>
    >> you might want to ask if they have a different brand available as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I use D-Link routers here with a cable model. I like the DIR 655 and
    >> the DGL4500. there are older and cheaper models that are pretty
    >> decent, like the DGL-4300.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:07:51 -0500, "Bill T."
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Verizon set me up with a Westell Versalink 327w. I have Verizon DSL. If I
    >>>were to upgrade my AP what would you suggest? Thanks
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>>newskfko391j0li0l92l448buq4pg9tbkimge@4ax.com...

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  12. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    They said it was a Newer model Westell modem that supports WPA.
    > What model are they sending you? For sure, change the SSID, use a
    > password on the administrative login.
    >
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:59:59 -0500, "Bill T."
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Barb, I contacted Verizon Support today and asked for a NEW modem
    >>that
    >>will support WPA or higher encryption, and they said that my modem was
    >>out
    >>of warranty, but that they would sell me one for $49.00. I didnt think
    >>that
    >>that was a bad deal for the newer up to date encrytion so i ordered it.
    >>Now
    >>my next question is besides enabeling the WPA, what else should i enable
    >>be safe with this wireless connection? Thank you for your advice.
    >>

    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> Check dslreports.com
    >>> Apparently you have an old Versalink 327w made in China. the newer
    >>> ones made in the USA support WPA. I'd call back and keep asking for
    >>> a supervisor and tell them that you found the information on
    >>> dslreports that the older made in China version doesn't support WPA
    >>> but that the newer ones do and firmly ask them to swap your
    >>> hardware. DO read the forums there.
    >>>
    >>> here is one of the threads
    >>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13747078
    >>>
    >>> you might want to ask if they have a different brand available as
    >>> well.
    >>>
    >>> I use D-Link routers here with a cable model. I like the DIR 655 and
    >>> the DGL4500. there are older and cheaper models that are pretty
    >>> decent, like the DGL-4300.

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  13. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    post the info on the model and hardware rev here when you receive
    it, but for now, WPA and the recommendations below.

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:11:01 -0500, "Bill T."
    wrote:

    >They said it was a Newer model Westell modem that supports WPA.
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> What model are they sending you? For sure, change the SSID, use a
    >> password on the administrative login.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:59:59 -0500, "Bill T."
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello Barb, I contacted Verizon Support today and asked for a NEW modem
    >>>that
    >>>will support WPA or higher encryption, and they said that my modem was
    >>>out
    >>>of warranty, but that they would sell me one for $49.00. I didnt think
    >>>that
    >>>that was a bad deal for the newer up to date encrytion so i ordered it.
    >>>Now
    >>>my next question is besides enabeling the WPA, what else should i enable
    >>>be safe with this wireless connection? Thank you for your advice.
    >>>

    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  14. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    Hi Barb, I just received my new modem, it is a Westell Versalink ADSL2 Model
    D90-327W15-06 Revision J. The service tech said this model supports the new
    WPA encryption. This modem looks almost identical to my old one. I will
    enable the security steps you listed below. Also where can I find step by
    step instructions on enabling these security features. I would like to do it
    on my own, because when I had Verizon help me all they wanted to set up was
    the WEP. Thanks

    > post the info on the model and hardware rev here when you receive
    > it, but for now, WPA and the recommendations below.
    >
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:11:01 -0500, "Bill T."
    > wrote:
    >
    >>They said it was a Newer model Westell modem that supports WPA.
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> What model are they sending you? For sure, change the SSID, use a
    >>> password on the administrative login.

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  15. Re: Mac Address Filtering

    see
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r183...el-D90327W1506

    I could not find the manual on the Westell site. Perhaps other
    Verizon customers in the dslreports verizon forum can assist you
    with this.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP