shared internet to wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on shared internet to wireless network - Wireless ; I've got two notebooks at home. The first one is connected to a cable internet with following settings : IP 10.5.14.103 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway: 10.5.0.1 and DNS: 10.5.0.1. This is a local network with local homesite that provides ...

  1. shared internet to wireless network

    I've got two notebooks at home. The first one is connected to a cable
    internet with following settings : IP 10.5.14.103 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.5.0.1 and DNS: 10.5.0.1. This is a local network with
    local homesite that provides internet to all users. I tried to use the
    wireless network between the laptops to connect the second one to internet
    making ICS. The settings of the gateway laptop are as following: IP:
    192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 and the second laptop has:
    IP:192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 and
    DNS: 192.168.0.1.
    With these settings and an open wireless network with disabled WAP I cannot
    connect to the internet but only to the local area network and the local
    index site.
    I can ping all IP including the gateway: 10.5.0.1
    The connection between the laptop is perfect.
    Would you please give me any advise or direction so I could fix it and
    finally connect to the internet.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: shared internet to wireless network

    Zdravko wrote:
    > I've got two notebooks at home. The first one is connected to a cable
    > internet with following settings : IP 10.5.14.103 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    > Default Gateway: 10.5.0.1 and DNS: 10.5.0.1. This is a local network with
    > local homesite that provides internet to all users. I tried to use the
    > wireless network between the laptops to connect the second one to internet
    > making ICS. The settings of the gateway laptop are as following: IP:
    > 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 and the second laptop has:
    > IP:192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 and
    > DNS: 192.168.0.1.
    > With these settings and an open wireless network with disabled WAP I cannot
    > connect to the internet but only to the local area network and the local
    > index site.
    > I can ping all IP including the gateway: 10.5.0.1
    > The connection between the laptop is perfect.
    > Would you please give me any advise or direction so I could fix it and
    > finally connect to the internet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Did you set up Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop that is
    connected to your wired network? See
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    If you're not using WinXP, see
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics.htm

    BTW, did you mean that you had disabled "WEP" (encryption)? When you
    re-enable encryption use WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP can be easily
    cracked in a few minutes using free tools downloadable from the Internet.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking