Problem with wireless router - Wireless

This is a discussion on Problem with wireless router - Wireless ; I added a DLink wireless router to a Compaq PC with XP Home and a DSL modem. File sharing and the internet connection work fine on the Compaq and Dell PCs; however, when the Compaq PC sits idle for awhile ...

  1. Problem with wireless router

    I added a DLink wireless router to a Compaq PC with XP Home and a DSL modem.
    File
    sharing and the internet connection work fine on the Compaq and Dell PCs;
    however, when the Compaq PC sits idle for awhile (I'm not sure how long),
    the modem goes off line. Recycling the modem by pulling the power wire
    brings it back on line. I put an identical router in the system and it does
    the same thing. I pulled out the router and moved the cables to their
    proper positions (no other changes) and the modem stays on line. Is there
    some sort of a setting I am unaware of or is there another explanation/fix
    for this? Thanks in advance.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour

  2. Re: Problem with wireless router

    it should be set up

    DSL modem
    ethernet from DSL modem to router

    each computer ethernet or wireless to router

    is this what you have?

    which DLink router and what hardware version and firmware version
    which DSL router

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Problem with wireless router

    Hi
    Many Routers has on the WAN side (Modem) a menu entry that would read
    something like Keep always alive.

    Make sure that your is checked or set to max. time.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ron Badour" wrote in message
    >I added a DLink wireless router to a Compaq PC with XP Home and a DSL
    >modem. File
    > sharing and the internet connection work fine on the Compaq and Dell PCs;
    > however, when the Compaq PC sits idle for awhile (I'm not sure how long),
    > the modem goes off line. Recycling the modem by pulling the power wire
    > brings it back on line. I put an identical router in the system and it
    > does the same thing. I pulled out the router and moved the cables to
    > their proper positions (no other changes) and the modem stays on line. Is
    > there some sort of a setting I am unaware of or is there another
    > explanation/fix for this? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour

  4. Re: Problem with wireless router

    Sorry on the delay in getting back--I am doing house remodeling and it is a
    whole lot of work. In fact, I haven't had time to work the XP newsgroups in
    a couple of weeks. I contacted DLink and they gave me a long list of things
    to check. Now I just have to find time to do it (it is not my system so it
    takes more time).

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour
    MS MVP 1997 - 2008

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    > it should be set up
    >
    > DSL modem
    > ethernet from DSL modem to router
    >
    > each computer ethernet or wireless to router
    >
    > is this what you have?
    >
    > which DLink router and what hardware version and firmware version
    > which DSL router
    >

    > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 21:45:42 -0600, "Ron Badour"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I added a DLink wireless router to a Compaq PC with XP Home and a DSL
    >>modem.
    >>File
    >>sharing and the internet connection work fine on the Compaq and Dell PCs;
    >>however, when the Compaq PC sits idle for awhile (I'm not sure how long),
    >>the modem goes off line. Recycling the modem by pulling the power wire
    >>brings it back on line. I put an identical router in the system and it
    >>does
    >>the same thing. I pulled out the router and moved the cables to their
    >>proper positions (no other changes) and the modem stays on line. Is there
    >>some sort of a setting I am unaware of or is there another explanation/fix
    >>for this? Thanks in advance.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Problem with wireless router

    Update: Solved. The email list of things DLink gave me to check did not
    help so I called a DLink technician who talked me through several things.
    It was apparently an IP address conflict causing the problem.

    I installed the other identical router with a cable modem system and it
    worked with no problems first time out. I have not worked much with DSL
    modems but every time I have, there have been problems. Lucky for me I
    have a cable modem at home so I do not tear my remaining hair out on these
    perplexing networking problems :-)

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour
    MS MVP 1997 - 2008

    "Ron Badour" wrote in message
    > Sorry on the delay in getting back--I am doing house remodeling and it is
    > a whole lot of work. In fact, I haven't had time to work the XP
    > newsgroups in a couple of weeks. I contacted DLink and they gave me a
    > long list of things to check. Now I just have to find time to do it (it
    > is not my system so it takes more time).
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour
    > MS MVP 1997 - 2008
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> it should be set up
    >>
    >> DSL modem
    >> ethernet from DSL modem to router
    >>
    >> each computer ethernet or wireless to router
    >>
    >> is this what you have?
    >>
    >> which DLink router and what hardware version and firmware version
    >> which DSL router
    >>

    >> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 21:45:42 -0600, "Ron Badour"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I added a DLink wireless router to a Compaq PC with XP Home and a DSL
    >>>modem.
    >>>File
    >>>sharing and the internet connection work fine on the Compaq and Dell PCs;
    >>>however, when the Compaq PC sits idle for awhile (I'm not sure how long),
    >>>the modem goes off line. Recycling the modem by pulling the power wire
    >>>brings it back on line. I put an identical router in the system and it
    >>>does
    >>>the same thing. I pulled out the router and moved the cables to their
    >>>proper positions (no other changes) and the modem stays on line. Is
    >>>there
    >>>some sort of a setting I am unaware of or is there another
    >>>explanation/fix
    >>>for this? Thanks in advance.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman