Replacing Netgear router with Linksys - Wireless

This is a discussion on Replacing Netgear router with Linksys - Wireless ; I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared internet connection work fine with the ...

  1. Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN
    connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared
    internet connection work fine with the Linksys router. File and print
    sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    and print sharing work. Any ideas what I need to chang in the Linksys
    router to make file and print sharing work?? I do have Symantec
    Internet Security (firewall) installed on the systems, but again, no
    changes to the hosts are necessary to make file and print sharing
    work. One host is a desktop connected with a wired connection, and the
    other is a laptop using wireless. Both hosts are running XP SP2.

  2. Re: Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    Can both computers ping each other by IP?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Wesley M. Hittle" wrote in message
    >I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    > MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN
    > connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared
    > internet connection work fine with the Linksys router. File and print
    > sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    > Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    > and print sharing work. Any ideas what I need to chang in the Linksys
    > router to make file and print sharing work?? I do have Symantec
    > Internet Security (firewall) installed on the systems, but again, no
    > changes to the hosts are necessary to make file and print sharing
    > work. One host is a desktop connected with a wired connection, and the
    > other is a laptop using wireless. Both hosts are running XP SP2.

  3. Re: Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    Wesley M. Hittle wrote:
    > I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    > MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN
    > connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared
    > internet connection work fine with the Linksys router. File and print
    > sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    > Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    > and print sharing work. Any ideas what I need to chang in the Linksys
    > router to make file and print sharing work?? I do have Symantec
    > Internet Security (firewall) installed on the systems, but again, no
    > changes to the hosts are necessary to make file and print sharing
    > work. One host is a desktop connected with a wired connection, and the
    > other is a laptop using wireless. Both hosts are running XP SP2.

    If you originally configured some, but not all, of your LAN devices with
    static IP addresses, you will now have a problem: Netgear's default
    DHCP addresses are in the 192.168.0.x subnet while those from the
    Linksys are 192.168.1.x.

    What does ipconfig /all on each computer show?
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  4. Re: Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    "Wesley M. Hittle" wrote in message
    >I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    > MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) ..... File and print
    > sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    > Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    > and print sharing work.

    John responds:
    What version NIS are you using? I've found network setup (spifyingfying
    "trusted" machines) much easier with the 2008 and 2007 versions .

    I've used the MR814v2 without problems in one application.

    I another, I used the WRT54G. I had to set the gateway address to
    192.168.2.1 in order to avoid conflict with the DSL modem.

  5. Re: Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    Hi
    Even if you did not configured static IP you might have this problem.
    The Netgear has the capacity to reserve IPs within the DHCP so each device
    gets always the same IP.
    The WRT54G can not reserve and thus IP assignment is up hazard and you have
    to use static IP when the IP has to stay the same.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Wesley M. Hittle" wrote in message
    >I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    > MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN
    > connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared
    > internet connection work fine with the Linksys router. File and print
    > sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    > Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    > and print sharing work. Any ideas what I need to chang in the Linksys
    > router to make file and print sharing work?? I do have Symantec
    > Internet Security (firewall) installed on the systems, but again, no
    > changes to the hosts are necessary to make file and print sharing
    > work. One host is a desktop connected with a wired connection, and the
    > other is a laptop using wireless. Both hosts are running XP SP2.

  6. Re: Replacing Netgear router with Linksys

    To answer some of the questions asked in response to this post:
    1. Regarding whether the machines can 'ping' each other, the Symantec
    firewall running on each host prevents the host from responding to the
    ping (in fact, they won't even ping their own IP address). File
    sharing works using the NETGEAR router whether the firewall is
    disabled (so the hosts can ping each other) or enabled: File sharing
    works either way with the NETGEAR router. File sharing does NOT work
    with the Linksys router whether the firewall is enabled or disabled.
    2. Neither router is configured to use the factory default IP
    addresses. Both are configured for the router to be 192.168.254.6 and
    to issue DHCP IP addresses in the range 192.168.254.100 thru 150.
    3. The procedure is this: All hosts are shut down. The router is
    swapped out. A host (wire connected to the router) and the router are
    powered up. The router is configured. The host and the router are
    powered off, then on. The remaining hosts are powered on. Using this
    sequence, the NETGEAR router works, and the LINKSYS router does not.
    4. Other than the IP address, and the PPPoE setup, both routers are
    using factory defaults.
    5. The firmware on the LINKSYS was upgraded to the latest available on
    the LINKSYS website.
    To my way of thinking, there must be a setting somewhere in the
    LINKSYS router that needs to be changed.

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 04:52:19 GMT, Wesley M. Hittle
    wrote:

    >I am trying to replace an old Netgear wireless DSL router (model
    >MR814v2) with a Linksys (model WRT54G) due to problems with a VPN
    >connection to Hewlett Packard. The VPN connection and my shared
    >internet connection work fine with the Linksys router. File and print
    >sharing do not work with the Linksys router. If I reinstall the
    >Netgear router, NO configuration changes are necessary to make file
    >and print sharing work. Any ideas what I need to chang in the Linksys
    >router to make file and print sharing work?? I do have Symantec
    >Internet Security (firewall) installed on the systems, but again, no
    >changes to the hosts are necessary to make file and print sharing
    >work. One host is a desktop connected with a wired connection, and the
    >other is a laptop using wireless. Both hosts are running XP SP2.

+ Reply to Thread