WLan adapter not recognised by XP - Wireless

This is a discussion on WLan adapter not recognised by XP - Wireless ; Hi. I hope someone out there can help me. I turned on my pc this morning and my wireless connection had disappeared. I reinstalled the software for the adapter and the driver and it worked at first but was struggling ...

  1. WLan adapter not recognised by XP

    Hi. I hope someone out there can help me.

    I turned on my pc this morning and my wireless connection had disappeared. I
    reinstalled the software for the adapter and the driver and it worked at
    first but was struggling to connect. I tried agin and now windows will not
    recognise that the adapter is a wlan adapter. I can find it under device
    manager under the USB root hub - displayed as unknown device. I've tried
    changing USB ports to no avail. When I pull it out and put it back in it just
    says unknown device (normally it goes to found new hardware wizard). I try to
    add the hardware manually using the (correct) driver from the disk supplied
    with the adapter and it tells me that the driver is not associated with this
    equipment and will not allow me to do it.

    What the hell is going on? If anyone can help it will be extremely greatly
    appretiated. Please save me from throwing the computer out of the window!

  2. Re: WLan adapter not recognised by XP

    "Gaztopher" wrote in message
    > Hi. I hope someone out there can help me.
    >
    > I turned on my pc this morning and my wireless connection had disappeared.
    > reinstalled the software for the adapter and the driver and it worked at
    > first but was struggling to connect. I tried agin and now windows will not
    > recognise that the adapter is a wlan adapter. I can find it under device
    > manager under the USB root hub - displayed as unknown device. I've tried
    > changing USB ports to no avail. When I pull it out and put it back in it
    > just
    > says unknown device (normally it goes to found new hardware wizard). I try
    > add the hardware manually using the (correct) driver from the disk
    > supplied
    > with the adapter and it tells me that the driver is not associated with
    > this
    > equipment and will not allow me to do it.
    >
    > What the hell is going on? If anyone can help it will be extremely greatly
    > appretiated. Please save me from throwing the computer out of the window!

    I would just throw the adapter out the window. This sounds like broken
    hardware.
    Jim

  3. Re: WLan adapter not recognised by XP

    Thanks Jim. I forgot to mention that I tried the adapter on another pc and
    it's fine. I also tried other usb devices on the various ports and they
    worked fine. Cheers though!

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Gaztopher" wrote in message
    > > Hi. I hope someone out there can help me.
    > >
    > > I turned on my pc this morning and my wireless connection had disappeared.
    > > reinstalled the software for the adapter and the driver and it worked at
    > > first but was struggling to connect. I tried agin and now windows will not
    > > recognise that the adapter is a wlan adapter. I can find it under device
    > > manager under the USB root hub - displayed as unknown device. I've tried
    > > changing USB ports to no avail. When I pull it out and put it back in it
    > > just
    > > says unknown device (normally it goes to found new hardware wizard). I try
    > > add the hardware manually using the (correct) driver from the disk
    > > supplied
    > > with the adapter and it tells me that the driver is not associated with
    > > this
    > > equipment and will not allow me to do it.
    > >
    > > What the hell is going on? If anyone can help it will be extremely greatly
    > > appretiated. Please save me from throwing the computer out of the window!

    > I would just throw the adapter out the window. This sounds like broken
    > hardware.
    > Jim

  4. Re: WLan adapter not recognised by XP

    Hi
    Before you reinstall Uninstall/Delete the ghost entries,
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
    Get the latest drivers from the manufacturer and try again.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Gaztopher" wrote in message
    > Thanks Jim. I forgot to mention that I tried the adapter on another pc and
    > it's fine. I also tried other usb devices on the various ports and they
    > worked fine. Cheers though!
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Gaztopher" wrote in message
    >> > Hi. I hope someone out there can help me.
    >> >
    >> > I turned on my pc this morning and my wireless connection had
    >> > disappeared.
    >> > reinstalled the software for the adapter and the driver and it worked
    >> > at
    >> > first but was struggling to connect. I tried agin and now windows will
    >> > not
    >> > recognise that the adapter is a wlan adapter. I can find it under
    >> > device
    >> > manager under the USB root hub - displayed as unknown device. I've
    >> > tried
    >> > changing USB ports to no avail. When I pull it out and put it back in
    >> > it
    >> > just
    >> > says unknown device (normally it goes to found new hardware wizard). I
    >> > try
    >> > add the hardware manually using the (correct) driver from the disk
    >> > supplied
    >> > with the adapter and it tells me that the driver is not associated with
    >> > this
    >> > equipment and will not allow me to do it.
    >> >
    >> > What the hell is going on? If anyone can help it will be extremely
    >> > greatly
    >> > appretiated. Please save me from throwing the computer out of the
    >> > window!

    >> I would just throw the adapter out the window. This sounds like broken
    >> hardware.
    >> Jim

+ Reply to Thread