Connecting TWO Routers - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connecting TWO Routers - Wireless ; I have two Linksys wireless routers. The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem. With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range 192.168.251.100 to 149). The second is a WRT54G. With a LAN ...

  1. Connecting TWO Routers

    I have two Linksys wireless routers.

    The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    192.168.251.100 to 149).

    The second is a WRT54G.
    With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    192.168.251.200 to 149).

    I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.

    How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

  2. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    wrote in message
    >I have two Linksys wireless routers.
    >
    > The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    > With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    > 192.168.251.100 to 149).
    >
    > The second is a WRT54G.
    > With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    > 192.168.251.200 to 149).
    >
    > I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    > wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    > connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.
    >
    > How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

    Isn't this subject discussed in the fine manual?
    Jim

  3. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    How do I use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    >I have two Linksys wireless routers.
    >
    > The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    > With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    > 192.168.251.100 to 149).
    >
    > The second is a WRT54G.
    > With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    > 192.168.251.200 to 149).
    >
    > I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    > wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    > connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.
    >
    > How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

  4. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:59Pfj.33850$lD6.17441@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...

    > wrote in message
    >>I have two Linksys wireless routers.
    >>
    >> The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    >> With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    >> 192.168.251.100 to 149).
    >>
    >> The second is a WRT54G.
    >> With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    >> 192.168.251.200 to 149).
    >>
    >> I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    >> wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    >> connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.
    >>
    >> How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

    > Isn't this subject discussed in the fine manual?
    > Jim

    Jim, what does "fine" manual mean? Is it a special networking term? (serious
    question from newbie)

  5. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    Suzy wrote:
    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:59Pfj.33850$lD6.17441@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
    >> wrote in message
    >>> I have two Linksys wireless routers.
    >>>
    >>> The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    >>> With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    >>> 192.168.251.100 to 149).
    >>>
    >>> The second is a WRT54G.
    >>> With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    >>> 192.168.251.200 to 149).
    >>>
    >>> I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    >>> wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    >>> connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.
    >>>
    >>> How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

    >> Isn't this subject discussed in the fine manual?
    >> Jim

    > Jim, what does "fine" manual mean? Is it a special networking term? (serious
    > question from newbie)

    He's paraphrasing and sanitizing the typical curt response "RTFM"
    (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  6. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Suzy wrote:
    >> "Jim" wrote in message
    >> news:59Pfj.33850$lD6.17441@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Isn't this subject discussed in the fine manual?
    >>> Jim

    >> Jim, what does "fine" manual mean? Is it a special networking term?
    >> (serious question from newbie)

    > He's paraphrasing and sanitizing the typical curt response "RTFM"
    > (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search).
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Thanks. I thought it was some technical term! (Ruddy newbies...)

  7. Re: Connecting TWO Routers

    On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:28:58 -0800 (PST), "jackso95@hotmail.com"
    wrote:

    >I have two Linksys wireless routers.
    >
    >The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem.
    >With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range
    >192.168.251.100 to 149).
    >
    >The second is a WRT54G.
    >With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range
    >192.168.251.200 to 149).
    >
    >I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its
    >wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5
    >connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.
    >
    >How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

    Disable the DHCP server on the WRT54G, and connect a LAN port on the WRT100 to a
    LAN port on the WRT54G.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...o-routers.html

    --
    Cheers,