More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end - Wireless

This is a discussion on More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end - Wireless ; Hi all. Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one! his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might ...

  1. More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    Hi all.

    Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!

    his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    set the Belkin to?

    I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

  2. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    Hi
    After you set the Belkin, Windows Wireless Utility would show your Wireless
    Router signal, when you choose to connect to it you would be prompt you to
    enter the Key.
    I would suggest that before setting the Router Security leave it open for
    few minutes and make sure that you can communicate while the connection is
    open.
    Give you self few minutes to look around and be familiar with Laptop
    Wireless Utility and settings.
    When you are sure that every thing working set the Encryption key.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >
    > his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    > (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    > set the Belkin to?
    >
    > I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    > 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

  3. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >
    > his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    > (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    > set the Belkin to?
    >
    > I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    > 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

    You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the wireless
    card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
    Jim

  4. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    Thanks for your reply, but I'm still confused. How exactly do I set the
    laptop end up and not the Belkin (which I know how to set up)

    > Hi
    > After you set the Belkin, Windows Wireless Utility would show your
    > Wireless Router signal, when you choose to connect to it you would be
    > prompt you to enter the Key.
    > I would suggest that before setting the Router Security leave it open for
    > few minutes and make sure that you can communicate while the connection is
    > open.
    > Give you self few minutes to look around and be familiar with Laptop
    > Wireless Utility and settings.
    > When you are sure that every thing working set the Encryption key.
    > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >>
    >> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    >> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    >> set the Belkin to?
    >>
    >> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    >> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

  5. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    Thanks Jim. The manuals are almost non-existent. The wireless card is an
    Atheros. Calling up details through device manager (XP) or through the
    networks settings shows no space for the WPA key. I surmise that it's done
    automatically when I set up the router but I would like to get into it.

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:X1Vej.33228$JD.23496@newssvr21.news.prodigy.n et...

    > "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >>
    >> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    >> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    >> set the Belkin to?
    >>
    >> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    >> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)
    >>

    > You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the wireless
    > card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
    > Jim

  6. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:477c3234$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Thanks Jim. The manuals are almost non-existent. The wireless card is an
    > Atheros. Calling up details through device manager (XP) or through the
    > networks settings shows no space for the WPA key. I surmise that it's done
    > automatically when I set up the router but I would like to get into it.
    >
    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:X1Vej.33228$JD.23496@newssvr21.news.prodigy.n et...
    >>
    >> "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >>> Hi all.
    >>>
    >>> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >>>
    >>> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless
    >>> card (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I
    >>> might set the Belkin to?
    >>>
    >>> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    >>> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)
    >>>

    >> You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the
    >> wireless card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
    >> Jim

    My computer has an Intel card. I get to the card setup by right clicking on
    the wireless icon in the system tray.
    If that card sets up the encryption key all by itself, it is about the only
    one that does so.
    Jim

  7. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    I think all you have to do is this on your laptop:

    1. Right-click the wireless network connection icon in the notification area
    (lower right-hand section of the display).
    2. Click on "View Available Wireless Networks".
    3. Select the new network that you recently set up on your Belkin router (it
    may be the only one showing). Then click on the "Connect" button in the
    lower right-hand corner.
    4. You will then be taken to the connection process for your laptop. When it
    asks for your WPA key, just type it in and you should be all set. Because it
    is easy to get your WPA key wrong when typing it, it is best to copy and
    paste it if you have your WPA key stored somewhere on your computer.

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >
    > his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    > (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    > set the Belkin to?
    >
    > I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    > 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

  8. Re: More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

    Thanks Ken and the others. Success! What threw me was that the blobs masking
    the passkey were not the same in number as the passkey was. Also, it is
    apparent that it says "connected" even when you are not.Anyway, what I did
    was 1) change the passkey on the router (using browser access). 2)
    disconnect the card from the network. 3) Reconnect it, and 4) when it asked
    for the passkey I entered the new one. All OK. I have also enabled MAC
    address filtering and locked out ICMP ping.
    "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >I think all you have to do is this on your laptop:
    >
    > 1. Right-click the wireless network connection icon in the notification
    > area (lower right-hand section of the display).
    > 2. Click on "View Available Wireless Networks".
    > 3. Select the new network that you recently set up on your Belkin router
    > (it may be the only one showing). Then click on the "Connect" button in
    > the lower right-hand corner.
    > 4. You will then be taken to the connection process for your laptop. When
    > it asks for your WPA key, just type it in and you should be all set.
    > Because it is easy to get your WPA key wrong when typing it, it is best to
    > copy and paste it if you have your WPA key stored somewhere on your
    > computer.
    >
    > "Suzy" wrote in message news:477beb3e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
    >>
    >> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
    >> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
    >> set the Belkin to?
    >>
    >> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
    >> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

+ Reply to Thread