Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog - Wireless

This is a discussion on Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog - Wireless ; Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recognize my Microsoft MN-500 Base Station? My laptop's wifi is able to pick up my neighbor's wi-fi, but it cannot see my own network. The laptop is a ...

  1. Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog

    Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recognize my
    Microsoft MN-500 Base Station? My laptop's wifi is able to pick up my
    neighbor's wi-fi, but it cannot see my own network. The laptop is a DV6000
    series from HP. When click on the HP Wireless assistant and then set up, it
    does not list Microsoft as a router manufacturer to choose from (choices are:
    Belkin, Buffalo, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, and other). When I choose other,
    I get a dialog box that says HP Network assistant does not support the router
    I have selected. Then it only allows me to cancel or go back to choose one
    of the other routers that I listed above.

    I guess the easy answer is go buy a new router. Should I really have to do
    this?

    Thanks,

    Jack

  2. Re: Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog

    Hi
    The Wireless utility in the laptop does not read the make of the Wireless
    hardware but an Identification signal called SSID.
    You neighbors did not bother to change the default SSID that is usually the
    make of the Router.
    Could be that your Wireless Router is Not set for wireless communication, or
    it is already set in a way not known to you.
    Read the manual and check the Router (base station) settings with a wired
    computer.
    Set the Wireless and hopefully it would work.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "jackhughes" wrote in message
    > Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recognize my
    > Microsoft MN-500 Base Station? My laptop's wifi is able to pick up my
    > neighbor's wi-fi, but it cannot see my own network. The laptop is a
    > DV6000
    > series from HP. When click on the HP Wireless assistant and then set up,
    > it
    > does not list Microsoft as a router manufacturer to choose from (choices
    > are:
    > Belkin, Buffalo, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, and other). When I choose
    > other,
    > I get a dialog box that says HP Network assistant does not support the
    > router
    > I have selected. Then it only allows me to cancel or go back to choose
    > one
    > of the other routers that I listed above.
    >
    > I guess the easy answer is go buy a new router. Should I really have to
    > do
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

  3. Re: Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog

    the MN500 was discontinued more than 5 years ago and is old and slow
    (b only) and does not provide the most secure encryption possible.
    you can probably get it to work by logging in to 192.168.2.1
    (default password is admin )

    and setting up the wireless and using Windows to connect to the
    network (and not the HP utility).

    I would strongly recommend buying a new router that supports at
    least 802.11g and WPA2.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not r

    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I should have mentioned that I did
    verify that the router was set up for wireless communications, and the base
    station has been reset multiple times. I will check out the links that you
    provided.

    Thanks,

    Jack

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > The Wireless utility in the laptop does not read the make of the Wireless
    > hardware but an Identification signal called SSID.
    > You neighbors did not bother to change the default SSID that is usually the
    > make of the Router.
    > Could be that your Wireless Router is Not set for wireless communication, or
    > it is already set in a way not known to you.
    > Read the manual and check the Router (base station) settings with a wired
    > computer.
    > Set the Wireless and hopefully it would work.
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "jackhughes" wrote in message
    > > Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recognize my
    > > Microsoft MN-500 Base Station? My laptop's wifi is able to pick up my
    > > neighbor's wi-fi, but it cannot see my own network. The laptop is a
    > > DV6000
    > > series from HP. When click on the HP Wireless assistant and then set up,
    > > it
    > > does not list Microsoft as a router manufacturer to choose from (choices
    > > are:
    > > Belkin, Buffalo, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, and other). When I choose
    > > other,
    > > I get a dialog box that says HP Network assistant does not support the
    > > router
    > > I have selected. Then it only allows me to cancel or go back to choose
    > > one
    > > of the other routers that I listed above.
    > >
    > > I guess the easy answer is go buy a new router. Should I really have to
    > > do
    > > this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jack