Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc. - Wireless ; I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop. In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI ...

  1. Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.

    In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link router
    and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.

    In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the Internet.

    I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in antenna)
    still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.

    I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially since
    it used to run fine for months before.

  2. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    Hi
    The fact that you have 5 bars means that there is strong signal, but it does
    not mean that you have viable connection between the computer and the
    Router.
    If there is No connection there is No Internet, or email.
    I do not not know the roll of Network Magic in it. AFAIK Network Magic is a
    3rd party commercial utility and thus probably provides it own support.
    In general this is these pages describe how to evaluate an and configure
    Windows Wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ritter 197" wrote in message
    >I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >
    > In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    > router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >
    > In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    > connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    > desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    > and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    > antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >
    > I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    > since it used to run fine for months before.

  3. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    Contact Network Magic support.

    "Ritter 197" wrote in message
    >I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >
    > In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    > router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >
    > In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    > connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    > desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    > and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    > antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >
    > I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    > since it used to run fine for months before.

  4. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197" wrote:

    >I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >
    >In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link router
    >and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >
    >In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    >connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    >desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the Internet.
    >
    >I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    >and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in antenna)
    >still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >
    >I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially since
    >it used to run fine for months before.

    There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic when
    they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).

    Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal TCP/IP
    networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of the
    advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is involved.

    Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that use
    IP address instead of names?

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html

    I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    I have contacted them. No reply yet. These NG's are ususally much better AND
    faster.

    "Bob" wrote in message
    news:EuidnR3W1OZb5OTanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Contact Network Magic support.
    >
    > "Ritter 197" wrote in message
    >>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >>
    >> In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    >> router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >>
    >> In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    >> connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    >> desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    >> Internet.
    >>
    >> I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable
    >> modem and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    >> antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >>
    >> I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    >> since it used to run fine for months before.

  6. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
    Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
    makes it so confusing.

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >>
    >>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    >>router
    >>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >>
    >>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    >>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    >>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    >>Internet.
    >>
    >>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    >>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    >>antenna)
    >>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >>
    >>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    >>since
    >>it used to run fine for months before.

    > There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
    > when
    > they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
    >
    > Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
    > TCP/IP
    > networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
    > the
    > advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
    > involved.
    >
    > Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that
    > use
    > IP address instead of names?
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
    >
    > I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  7. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    Hi
    Regardless of NetMagic, you cam not just stick to statement "It says that it
    is Connected".
    I can make a list of hundred causes that can result in No email, No
    Internet.
    When you say No Internet, is it only the Internet or the whole network
    connection?
    Can you connect to the Router from the computer when it loses the Internet?
    Did you look at the network parameters as shown at the pages that I linked
    before.
    You need to start looking into the system, might be that you would find the
    answer yourself, or at least would be able to provide information beyond the
    mere fact that it does not working.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ritter 197" wrote in message
    >I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
    >Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
    >makes it so confusing.
    >

    > "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP,
    >>>Comcast
    >>>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >>>
    >>>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    >>>router
    >>>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >>>
    >>>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    >>>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    >>>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    >>>Internet.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable
    >>>modem
    >>>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    >>>antenna)
    >>>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >>>
    >>>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    >>>since
    >>>it used to run fine for months before.

    >> There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
    >> when
    >> they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
    >>
    >> Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
    >> TCP/IP
    >> networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
    >> the
    >> advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
    >> involved.
    >>
    >> Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services,
    >> that use
    >> IP address instead of names?
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
    >>
    >> I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    >> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
    >> My email is AT DOT
    >> actual address pchuck mvps org.

  8. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:46:27 -0500, "Ritter 197" wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
    >>>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
    >>>
    >>>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
    >>>router
    >>>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
    >>>
    >>>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
    >>>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
    >>>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
    >>>Internet.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
    >>>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
    >>>antenna)
    >>>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
    >>>
    >>>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
    >>>since
    >>>it used to run fine for months before.

    >> There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
    >> when
    >> they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
    >>
    >> Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
    >> TCP/IP
    >> networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
    >> the
    >> advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
    >> involved.
    >>
    >> Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that
    >> use
    >> IP address instead of names?
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
    >>
    >> I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html

    >I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
    >Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
    >makes it so confusing.

    One of the problems is that "5 bars" can have any number of interpretations, and
    a "5 bars" display in one product won't mean the same as "5 bars" in another
    product. In many cases, "5 bars" in one product will be "3 bars" in another.

    Network Magic generally provides a connection to the local network. There are
    issues that will affect Internet connectivity that won't affect local
    connectivity. Read the articles.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  9. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    Thank you all for various suggestions. I read all and went also to many of
    the Hyperlinks.

    What finally solved the problem (which really makes no sense to me but it
    did fix the problem) is this.

    I had tried the Wizard for the Wireless in the D-link624 many times before
    and it did not solve the problem.
    This time it worked and the ONLY thing I changed is that I went from the
    default name of "admin" to a new, different one.

    Right after that (and after I unplugged the Router for 20 seconds and then
    re-applied power, I had the Internet, E-mail and newsgroups on both the
    desktop and the laptop.

    Problem solved.

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:46:27 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message

    >>> There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
    >>> when
    >>> they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
    >>>
    >>> Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
    >>> TCP/IP
    >>> networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
    >>> the
    >>> advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
    >>> involved.
    >>>
    >>> Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services,
    >>> that
    >>> use
    >>> IP address instead of names?
    >>>
    >>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
    >>>
    >>> I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
    >>>
    >>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >>>
    >>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html

    >>I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
    >>Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
    >>makes it so confusing.

    > One of the problems is that "5 bars" can have any number of
    > interpretations, and
    > a "5 bars" display in one product won't mean the same as "5 bars" in
    > another
    > product. In many cases, "5 bars" in one product will be "3 bars" in
    > another.
    >
    > Network Magic generally provides a connection to the local network. There
    > are
    > issues that will affect Internet connectivity that won't affect local
    > connectivity. Read the articles.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  10. Re: Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 23:21:07 -0500, "Ritter 197" wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:46:27 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message

    >>>I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
    >>>Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
    >>>makes it so confusing.

    >> One of the problems is that "5 bars" can have any number of
    >> interpretations, and
    >> a "5 bars" display in one product won't mean the same as "5 bars" in
    >> another
    >> product. In many cases, "5 bars" in one product will be "3 bars" in
    >> another.
    >>
    >> Network Magic generally provides a connection to the local network. There
    >> are
    >> issues that will affect Internet connectivity that won't affect local
    >> connectivity. Read the articles.

    >Thank you all for various suggestions. I read all and went also to many of
    >the Hyperlinks.
    >
    >What finally solved the problem (which really makes no sense to me but it
    >did fix the problem) is this.
    >
    >I had tried the Wizard for the Wireless in the D-link624 many times before
    >and it did not solve the problem.
    >This time it worked and the ONLY thing I changed is that I went from the
    >default name of "admin" to a new, different one.
    >
    >Right after that (and after I unplugged the Router for 20 seconds and then
    >re-applied power, I had the Internet, E-mail and newsgroups on both the
    >desktop and the laptop.
    >
    >Problem solved.

    Congrats on your persistence, and thanks for updating the thread.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT