RE: wireless network failure - Wireless

This is a discussion on RE: wireless network failure - Wireless ; Hi Im mike richardson and have been trying to configure a wireless router in windows vista but as soon as I go to internet it says offline. Also the manual tells you to turn off security but how do you ...

  1. RE: wireless network failure

    Hi Im mike richardson and have been trying to configure a wireless router in
    windows vista but as soon as I go to internet it says offline. Also the
    manual tells you to turn off security but how do you do that in windows vista

    "Derek Peters" wrote:

    > I'm really beginning to wonder if I am meant to have a wireless network at
    > home. Yesterday it was working beautifully, until the evening that is.
    > Suddenly I was presented with 'limited or no connectivity' and the repair
    > utility told me that it could not assign an IP address. I've tried installing
    > the network again from scratch and re-configuring the router to no avail.
    > Anyone got any suggestions please?

  2. Re: wireless network failure

    We need more information to help. Posting the result of ipconfig /all may
    help. Or check this search result.

    Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Common Problems with 802.11 Wireless ...
    Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn’t receive the single. 1) It
    could be the Wireless adapter driver ...
    http://www.wifimvp.com/vistawireless.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "mike rich" rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Im mike richardson and have been trying to configure a wireless router
    > in
    > windows vista but as soon as I go to internet it says offline. Also the
    > manual tells you to turn off security but how do you do that in windows
    > vista
    >
    > "Derek Peters" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really beginning to wonder if I am meant to have a wireless network
    >> at
    >> home. Yesterday it was working beautifully, until the evening that is.
    >> Suddenly I was presented with 'limited or no connectivity' and the repair
    >> utility told me that it could not assign an IP address. I've tried
    >> installing
    >> the network again from scratch and re-configuring the router to no avail.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions please?

  3. Re: wireless network failure

    Hi
    Wireless Routers and Wireless cards have No universal way to install and
    manage the setting, it depends on the way the manufacturer implemented the
    technology.
    As a result if the installation did not start to work correctly with the
    defaults it is very hard to give specific instructions unless someone has
    the exact system as yours.

    The solution is to educate yourself in general about Entry Level Wireless
    issues, and read the manuals of your specific hardware. Combine to two
    should enable you to resolve the issues.

    May be this can help to provide the general education.

    Microsoft set up Set up Wireless security in Vista.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...25fcb1033.mspx

    Microsoft Troubleshoot problems finding wireless networks
    http://www.windowshelp.microsoft.com...376c21033.mspx

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "mike rich" rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Im mike richardson and have been trying to configure a wireless router
    > in
    > windows vista but as soon as I go to internet it says offline. Also the
    > manual tells you to turn off security but how do you do that in windows
    > vista
    >
    > "Derek Peters" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really beginning to wonder if I am meant to have a wireless network
    >> at
    >> home. Yesterday it was working beautifully, until the evening that is.
    >> Suddenly I was presented with 'limited or no connectivity' and the repair
    >> utility told me that it could not assign an IP address. I've tried
    >> installing
    >> the network again from scratch and re-configuring the router to no avail.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions please?

  4. Re: wireless network failure

    which wireless router do you have?

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:34:05 -0800, mike rich rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Im mike richardson and have been trying to configure a wireless router in
    >windows vista but as soon as I go to internet it says offline. Also the
    >manual tells you to turn off security but how do you do that in windows vista
    >
    >"Derek Peters" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really beginning to wonder if I am meant to have a wireless network at
    >> home. Yesterday it was working beautifully, until the evening that is.
    >> Suddenly I was presented with 'limited or no connectivity' and the repair
    >> utility told me that it could not assign an IP address. I've tried installing
    >> the network again from scratch and re-configuring the router to no avail.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions please?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP