Wireless problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless problem - Wireless ; Network Problem I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G). Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought a Dell ...

  1. Wireless problem

    Network Problem
    I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought a
    Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router. My
    dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    anyone can give me. Thank you

    GusGus

  2. Re: Wireless problem

    I world check the firewall first. Or this search result may help.

    Other can't see VistaVista: is not accessible · XP can't see Vista network
    map · XP can't access Vista shared folders because of permission · Windows
    XP cannot see Vista ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "GusGus" wrote in message
    > Network Problem
    > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
    > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
    > My
    > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    > anyone can give me. Thank you
    >
    > GusGus

  3. Re: Wireless problem

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "GusGus" wrote in message
    > Network Problem
    > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
    > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
    > My
    > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    > anyone can give me. Thank you
    >
    > GusGus

  4. Re: Wireless problem

    Thanks for responding Jack.
    That's a lot of information to look up and will take some time! I'll try to
    let you know if anything helps!
    GusGus

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "GusGus" wrote in message
    > > Network Problem
    > > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    > > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    > > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
    > > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
    > > My
    > > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    > > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    > > anyone can give me. Thank you
    > >
    > > GusGus

  5. Re: Wireless problem

    "GusGus" wrote in message
    > Network Problem
    > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
    > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
    > My
    > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    > anyone can give me. Thank you
    >
    > GusGus

    Most likely cause is that a firewall on the laptop is blocking icmp packets.
    The
    computer sends an icmp packet for ping requests, and the response is an icmp
    packet for ping reply. The first place to look would be in the firewall
    settings
    after you have verified that there is only one firewall running on the
    laptop.

    Jim

  6. Re: Wireless problem

    Thanks Jim. I'll look into it!
    GusGus

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "GusGus" wrote in message
    > > Network Problem
    > > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
    > > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
    > > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
    > > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
    > > My
    > > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
    > > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
    > > anyone can give me. Thank you
    > >
    > > GusGus
    > >

    > Most likely cause is that a firewall on the laptop is blocking icmp packets.
    > The
    > computer sends an icmp packet for ping requests, and the response is an icmp
    > packet for ping reply. The first place to look would be in the firewall
    > settings
    > after you have verified that there is only one firewall running on the
    > laptop.
    >
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread