"Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error" - Wireless

This is a discussion on "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error" - Wireless ; This is the message I get when trying to install a linksys or a belkin wireless card in my xp pro service pack 2 desktop machine. I know the cards are both working, as I've installed both in a different ...

  1. "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    This is the message I get when trying to install a linksys or a belkin
    wireless card in my xp pro service pack 2 desktop machine.

    I know the cards are both working, as I've installed both in a different
    desktop (xp home service pack 1) and they both work swimmingly on it. On a
    side note, I've tried downloading and installing service pack 2 on the 2nd
    machine and it keeps throwing an error on it's own without finishing the
    install.

    Frankly I'm stumped and running wired isn't an option (new house, have my
    father on o2 dragging a hose around, so stringing wires haphazardly about
    isn't an option).

  2. RE: "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    I can't recall what I did last night to receive the message, but I got a
    different message last night saying that the program couldn't find
    "belios.dll". Could this possibly be the file that the setup program can't
    find, and is it a file from Windows XP or a file from the vendor?

  3. Re: "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    Hi
    You can try to re-install Win XP on top of the current installation (by
    using the Repair choice at the New Installation menu). It takes 35 minutes
    and it maintains all the old settings and files. If the trouble comes from a
    corrupted file/dll it would be refreshed after the re- installation and
    might solve the problem.
    If it persists after reinstallation it is probably hardware problem.
    If the Wireless cards that you tried are USB based, and you do not want to
    go through the re-installation of the OS, you can try a PCI card.
    This is a very good inexpensive PCI card,
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jim Comfort" wrote in message
    >I can't recall what I did last night to receive the message, but I got a
    > different message last night saying that the program couldn't find
    > "belios.dll". Could this possibly be the file that the setup program
    > can't
    > find, and is it a file from Windows XP or a file from the vendor?

  4. Re: "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    It is a PCI card, an MSI PC30G. The other card is a Linksys PCI card. Both
    are working fine in the XP Home SP1 rig, but both are throwing the same error
    message on this box, XP Pro SP2. I've tried to use the XP disk to do a
    reinstall before, but it's thrown an error because the disk is SP1 and I've
    got SP2 installed.

    I'm considering either a rollback to SP1 and trying again or a fresh
    install, but I've got so much installed on this rig that I'd rather avoid a
    fresh install due to time requirements to put everything back after a fresh
    install.

    I've had MS tech support calling and running EasyAssist and they're running
    into the same problems I've been running into, including most recently,
    removing the software, removing the card, reinstalling the software, then
    reinstalling the card.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > You can try to re-install Win XP on top of the current installation (by
    > using the Repair choice at the New Installation menu). It takes 35 minutes
    > and it maintains all the old settings and files. If the trouble comes from a
    > corrupted file/dll it would be refreshed after the re- installation and
    > might solve the problem.
    > If it persists after reinstallation it is probably hardware problem.
    > If the Wireless cards that you tried are USB based, and you do not want to
    > go through the re-installation of the OS, you can try a PCI card.
    > This is a very good inexpensive PCI card,
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Jim Comfort" wrote in message
    > >I can't recall what I did last night to receive the message, but I got a
    > > different message last night saying that the program couldn't find
    > > "belios.dll". Could this possibly be the file that the setup program
    > > can't
    > > find, and is it a file from Windows XP or a file from the vendor?

  5. Re: "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    Hi,

    It Seems that repair reinstall is not helping and also the SP1 And sp2 issue
    you explained what i will recomend is

    1: Back up all you imp data.

    2: Remove all the PCI cards you have and any external equipment hooked up.

    3: Do a format reinstall of the xp using sp1

    4: Update it to SP2 (you can download whole pack from
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en))

    5: Now hook ur cards and install nessary download

    If still does not wark pls let me know what codes it is giving now.

    Regards,

    ~deo

    "Jim Comfort" wrote:

    > It is a PCI card, an MSI PC30G. The other card is a Linksys PCI card. Both
    > are working fine in the XP Home SP1 rig, but both are throwing the same error
    > message on this box, XP Pro SP2. I've tried to use the XP disk to do a
    > reinstall before, but it's thrown an error because the disk is SP1 and I've
    > got SP2 installed.
    >
    > I'm considering either a rollback to SP1 and trying again or a fresh
    > install, but I've got so much installed on this rig that I'd rather avoid a
    > fresh install due to time requirements to put everything back after a fresh
    > install.
    >
    > I've had MS tech support calling and running EasyAssist and they're running
    > into the same problems I've been running into, including most recently,
    > removing the software, removing the card, reinstalling the software, then
    > reinstalling the card.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > You can try to re-install Win XP on top of the current installation (by
    > > using the Repair choice at the New Installation menu). It takes 35 minutes
    > > and it maintains all the old settings and files. If the trouble comes from a
    > > corrupted file/dll it would be refreshed after the re- installation and
    > > might solve the problem.
    > > If it persists after reinstallation it is probably hardware problem.
    > > If the Wireless cards that you tried are USB based, and you do not want to
    > > go through the re-installation of the OS, you can try a PCI card.
    > > This is a very good inexpensive PCI card,
    > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >
    > > "Jim Comfort" wrote in message
    > > >I can't recall what I did last night to receive the message, but I got a
    > > > different message last night saying that the program couldn't find
    > > > "belios.dll". Could this possibly be the file that the setup program
    > > > can't
    > > > find, and is it a file from Windows XP or a file from the vendor?

  6. Re: "Setup cannot find the file specified (code 31) error"

    Actually, I haven't tried a repair reinstall yet, but only because when I
    tried doing one a year ago, I had errors due to my disk being SP1 where I had
    upgraded to SP2. The errors I'm getting are code 31 errors, and I'm getting
    the same issues with both the MSI PC60G card and the Linksys WMP54G v4.1
    card. Both are working in the XP HOme, SP1 box, though.

    I know it's not a PCI problem, because I've got a PCI video card that works
    in all three slots. Also, when I run the install, either from the disk or
    from the hardware wizard, even though it shows errors, the properties tab in
    device manager shows the information about the card, i.e. the capabilities
    and specs of the card.

+ Reply to Thread