Can't have simulataneous access to router - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't have simulataneous access to router - Wireless ; I've got a Dell XP desktop connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G Router that is connected to an Ameritech DSL modem. I've also got a Belkin F5D7010 Wireless Notebook Network Card in a Dell XP laptop. This wireless stuff ...

  1. Can't have simulataneous access to router

    I've got a Dell XP desktop connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G
    Router that is connected to an Ameritech DSL modem.

    I've also got a Belkin F5D7010 Wireless Notebook Network Card in a
    Dell XP laptop.

    This wireless stuff is all new to me.

    I can make all this stuff work, but only one at a time. I can make
    the desktop connect to the network if the laptop is not connected,
    and I can make the laptop connect to the network if the desktop is not
    connected, but I can't connect both at the same time. When I attempt
    the second connection it thinks the modem is busy and thus won't
    connect.

    I see that Ameritech uses PPPoE which maybe is what's messing me up
    here, since it evidently processes a login/password at some point.

    Anyone know how to get multiple computers working simulataneously with
    a Ameritech PPPoE DSL connection?

    dave y.

  2. RE: Can't have simulataneous access to router

    dave y: Sometimes it's better not to have too many cooks in the kitchen!

    Each device will have a www. name, etc. Try going to each www. site and
    provide the data. One thing is a modem is quite capable of talking, and
    listening; just not at the same time.
    Once you have established how many cooks your home network really needs to
    survive, the network wizard can do his wizardry!
    I remember my grandmother, and or my mom were quite capable of all
    processess necessary to put on the best thanksgiving dinner ever.
    Good luck dave y
    --
    eileen banta

    "dave y." wrote:

    > I've got a Dell XP desktop connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G
    > Router that is connected to an Ameritech DSL modem.
    >
    > I've also got a Belkin F5D7010 Wireless Notebook Network Card in a
    > Dell XP laptop.
    >
    > This wireless stuff is all new to me.
    >
    > I can make all this stuff work, but only one at a time. I can make
    > the desktop connect to the network if the laptop is not connected,
    > and I can make the laptop connect to the network if the desktop is not
    > connected, but I can't connect both at the same time. When I attempt
    > the second connection it thinks the modem is busy and thus won't
    > connect.
    >
    > I see that Ameritech uses PPPoE which maybe is what's messing me up
    > here, since it evidently processes a login/password at some point.
    >
    > Anyone know how to get multiple computers working simulataneously with
    > a Ameritech PPPoE DSL connection?
    >
    > dave y.

  3. Re: Can't have simulataneous access to router

    Hi
    Many computers, wired and wireless, can connect to a Wireless cable
    DSL/Router even if the Router is not connected to the Internet.
    So as first step ignore the Internet read the manual and configure so that
    the two computers can connect to the Router.
    As for the Internet. Check to make sure that your Ameritech device is Not
    actually a Modem/Router.
    If it is a modem only, it has to be connected to the Router's WAN port and
    the Router has to be configured to take care of the PPPOE.
    If is a Modem/Router it would take care of the PPPOE, and the Router has to
    be connected as an Access Point (the principle here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "dave y." wrote in message
    > I've got a Dell XP desktop connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G
    > Router that is connected to an Ameritech DSL modem.
    >
    > I've also got a Belkin F5D7010 Wireless Notebook Network Card in a
    > Dell XP laptop.
    >
    > This wireless stuff is all new to me.
    >
    > I can make all this stuff work, but only one at a time. I can make
    > the desktop connect to the network if the laptop is not connected,
    > and I can make the laptop connect to the network if the desktop is not
    > connected, but I can't connect both at the same time. When I attempt
    > the second connection it thinks the modem is busy and thus won't
    > connect.
    >
    > I see that Ameritech uses PPPoE which maybe is what's messing me up
    > here, since it evidently processes a login/password at some point.
    >
    > Anyone know how to get multiple computers working simulataneously with
    > a Ameritech PPPoE DSL connection?
    >
    > dave y.

  4. Re: Can't have simulataneous access to router

    When you set up your wireless network, did you configure it as
    "Infrastructure" or "Ad Hoc"? In your case, it should be Infrastructure so
    that you can have multiple devices communicating with a router.

    "dave y." wrote in message
    > I've got a Dell XP desktop connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G
    > Router that is connected to an Ameritech DSL modem.
    >
    > I've also got a Belkin F5D7010 Wireless Notebook Network Card in a
    > Dell XP laptop.
    >
    > This wireless stuff is all new to me.
    >
    > I can make all this stuff work, but only one at a time. I can make
    > the desktop connect to the network if the laptop is not connected,
    > and I can make the laptop connect to the network if the desktop is not
    > connected, but I can't connect both at the same time. When I attempt
    > the second connection it thinks the modem is busy and thus won't
    > connect.
    >
    > I see that Ameritech uses PPPoE which maybe is what's messing me up
    > here, since it evidently processes a login/password at some point.
    >
    > Anyone know how to get multiple computers working simulataneously with
    > a Ameritech PPPoE DSL connection?
    >
    > dave y.

+ Reply to Thread