Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link. - Wireless ; My son has Verizon DSL hard wired to his desktop. He also has 4 other computers linked wireless to his desktop.The wired Desktop has a Verizon provided Westell 2200 modem. The router is a D-Link DI-624. On one of the ...

  1. Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link.

    My son has Verizon DSL hard wired to his desktop. He also has 4 other
    computers linked wireless to his desktop.The wired Desktop has a Verizon
    provided Westell 2200 modem. The router is a D-Link DI-624. On one of the
    wireless computers, he recently created a second account, so his son could
    have an I Tunes account ( one of the other children already had an I Tunes
    account on this computer, Apple recommended the 2nd account route). Now when
    THIS particular computer ( has D-Link Air Plus DWL-G520 card) is turned on,
    the wireless connection does not occur automatically. He always has to right
    click on Connection and hit the repair tab. Seems like a MS problem. Any
    suggestions?

  2. Re: Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link.

    I assume this is XP? Are you using Windows to manage the wireless or
    the D-Link utility? Does the network show in the list of preferred
    networks? what kind of security are you using?

    check and see if you have the latest firmware for the hardware
    revision of the 624 that you have.

    I believe the Westell 2200 is a router as well as a modem. Do you
    have the 624 configured as an access point (no DHCP, no NAT) so that
    the Westell serves up IP addresses?

    Post the text results of ipconfig /all from the desktop and from the
    wireless computer (2 of them, 1 when in the "bad" state, and 1 when
    connected). This will help us understand how things are configured.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link.

    I will forward this to my son for a response. I know he has Windows XP. And
    the Westall is a ROUTER.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    > I assume this is XP? Are you using Windows to manage the wireless or
    > the D-Link utility? Does the network show in the list of preferred
    > networks? what kind of security are you using?
    >
    > check and see if you have the latest firmware for the hardware
    > revision of the 624 that you have.
    >
    > I believe the Westell 2200 is a router as well as a modem. Do you
    > have the 624 configured as an access point (no DHCP, no NAT) so that
    > the Westell serves up IP addresses?
    >
    > Post the text results of ipconfig /all from the desktop and from the
    > wireless computer (2 of them, 1 when in the "bad" state, and 1 when
    > connected). This will help us understand how things are configured.
    >
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:27:18 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My son has Verizon DSL hard wired to his desktop. He also has 4 other
    >>computers linked wireless to his desktop.The wired Desktop has a Verizon
    >>provided Westell 2200 modem. The router is a D-Link DI-624. On one of the
    >>wireless computers, he recently created a second account, so his son could
    >>have an I Tunes account ( one of the other children already had an I Tunes
    >>account on this computer, Apple recommended the 2nd account route). Now
    >>when
    >>THIS particular computer ( has D-Link Air Plus DWL-G520 card) is turned
    >>on,
    >>the wireless connection does not occur automatically. He always has to
    >>right
    >>click on Connection and hit the repair tab. Seems like a MS problem. Any
    >>suggestions?
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link.

    My son says Thanks:

    All working fine now...thank you
    Does it WORK? So I can send a Thank you?

    > I will forward this to my son for a response. I know he has Windows XP.
    > And the Westall is a ROUTER.
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> I assume this is XP? Are you using Windows to manage the wireless or
    >> the D-Link utility? Does the network show in the list of preferred
    >> networks? what kind of security are you using?
    >>
    >> check and see if you have the latest firmware for the hardware
    >> revision of the 624 that you have.
    >>
    >> I believe the Westell 2200 is a router as well as a modem. Do you
    >> have the 624 configured as an access point (no DHCP, no NAT) so that
    >> the Westell serves up IP addresses?
    >>
    >> Post the text results of ipconfig /all from the desktop and from the
    >> wireless computer (2 of them, 1 when in the "bad" state, and 1 when
    >> connected). This will help us understand how things are configured.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:27:18 -0500, "Ritter 197"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My son has Verizon DSL hard wired to his desktop. He also has 4 other
    >>>computers linked wireless to his desktop.The wired Desktop has a Verizon
    >>>provided Westell 2200 modem. The router is a D-Link DI-624. On one of the
    >>>wireless computers, he recently created a second account, so his son
    >>>could
    >>>have an I Tunes account ( one of the other children already had an I
    >>>Tunes
    >>>account on this computer, Apple recommended the 2nd account route). Now
    >>>when
    >>>THIS particular computer ( has D-Link Air Plus DWL-G520 card) is turned
    >>>on,
    >>>the wireless connection does not occur automatically. He always has to
    >>>right
    >>>click on Connection and hit the repair tab. Seems like a MS problem. Any
    >>>suggestions?
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Connection problem with wireless. Verizon and D-link.

    thanks for the update