File Sharing - Wireless

This is a discussion on File Sharing - Wireless ; I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my desktop wired, both running XP. I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the network. The problem with these 2 laptops is: ...

  1. File Sharing

    I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my
    desktop wired, both running XP.

    I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the
    network. The problem with these 2 laptops is:

    I can access the web without problem on all 4 machines.

    My original 2 machines can share files without problem.

    The 2 new laptops can share files with my XP laptop no problem.

    The 2 new laptops can see the shared folder on my desktop, but neither
    can open the shared folder, saying No Administrator rights to share
    this folder.

    If I want to send files from my desktop to the new laptops, I have to
    send from the shared folder on the desktop using my XP Laptop

    I am running on a router supplied by O2 with WEP Security.

    I have also tried using my desktop wirelessly using a wireless dongle

    Does anyone have any suggestions

    TIA

    Dave

  2. Re: File Sharing

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:52:12 -0800 (PST), Easygoing Dave
    wrote:

    >I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my
    >desktop wired, both running XP.
    >
    >I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the
    >network. The problem with these 2 laptops is:
    >
    >I can access the web without problem on all 4 machines.
    >
    >My original 2 machines can share files without problem.
    >
    >The 2 new laptops can share files with my XP laptop no problem.
    >
    >The 2 new laptops can see the shared folder on my desktop, but neither
    >can open the shared folder, saying No Administrator rights to share
    >this folder.
    >
    >If I want to send files from my desktop to the new laptops, I have to
    >send from the shared folder on the desktop using my XP Laptop
    >
    >I am running on a router supplied by O2 with WEP Security.
    >
    >I have also tried using my desktop wirelessly using a wireless dongle

    Hi Dave,

    What's the complete and precise error message? " ... no administrator rights to
    share ..." when trying to access isn't normal (nor is it a known error). But
    "... access denied ..." is, and can be caused by many problems.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

    I'd bet that you have a problem with a misconfigured or overlooked personal
    firewall, blocking SMBs.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

    When WiFi is involved, you could also have a master browser conflict.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

    I'd use logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
    "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read
    this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
    browstat!):

    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  3. Re: File Sharing

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Easygoing Dave" wrote in message
    >I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my
    > desktop wired, both running XP.
    >
    > I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the
    > network. The problem with these 2 laptops is:
    >
    > I can access the web without problem on all 4 machines.
    >
    > My original 2 machines can share files without problem.
    >
    > The 2 new laptops can share files with my XP laptop no problem.
    >
    > The 2 new laptops can see the shared folder on my desktop, but neither
    > can open the shared folder, saying No Administrator rights to share
    > this folder.
    >
    > If I want to send files from my desktop to the new laptops, I have to
    > send from the shared folder on the desktop using my XP Laptop
    >
    > I am running on a router supplied by O2 with WEP Security.
    >
    > I have also tried using my desktop wirelessly using a wireless dongle
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave

+ Reply to Thread