Newbie question re simple wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Newbie question re simple wireless network - Wireless ; Hi all. I'm in Australia. Have just installed a Belkin wireless G router and linked it to my existing Netcomm NB5. This enables my one laptop (ie a network of one!) to be portable around the house and works well ...

  1. Newbie question re simple wireless network

    Hi all. I'm in Australia. Have just installed a Belkin wireless G router and
    linked it to my existing Netcomm NB5. This enables my one laptop (ie a
    network of one!) to be portable around the house and works well on the Net.
    Now I'd like to be able to reach my MFC7420 printer (no Ethernet port --
    only USB) from my laptop wirelessly too. Do I do that with a little wireless
    box? If so, how does it not interfere with the router? BTW, does the whole
    shooting match work by spread spectrum frequency hopping?

    Thanks all

  2. Re: Newbie question re simple wireless network

    Hi
    If the printer is currently connected to a computer you can enable its
    sharing and print through the Network (does not matter if the computer is
    wired or wireless).
    Otherwise, you can try to make the printer a Network Printer by buying an
    installing on the printer a wireless USB Printer server. When it is a
    network printer it is not connected to any specific computer and all
    Networked computers can use it.
    However take into consideration that since your printer is All in One it
    might not work or it work partially.
    http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    In any case it would affect your Wireless laptop and the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:47743689$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi all. I'm in Australia. Have just installed a Belkin wireless G router
    > and linked it to my existing Netcomm NB5. This enables my one laptop (ie a
    > network of one!) to be portable around the house and works well on the
    > Net. Now I'd like to be able to reach my MFC7420 printer (no Ethernet
    > port -- only USB) from my laptop wirelessly too. Do I do that with a
    > little wireless box? If so, how does it not interfere with the router?
    > BTW, does the whole shooting match work by spread spectrum frequency
    > hopping?
    >
    > Thanks all

+ Reply to Thread