Continuous Request - Wireless

This is a discussion on Continuous Request - Wireless ; I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on one router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a ...

  1. Continuous Request

    I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
    wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on one
    router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a "request"
    every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer illiterate, use
    computers manufactured by different companies and dissimilar "G" adapters.
    Any ideas on what's going on?

  2. Re: Continuous Request

    Hi
    Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
    signal.
    As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and others)
    would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your Radio/TV
    that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you choose the
    one that you want to use).
    I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
    authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
    However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
    computers did not actually log on and use the network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "iPC" wrote in message
    > I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
    > wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on
    > one router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a
    > "request" every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer illiterate,
    > use computers manufactured by different companies and dissimilar "G"
    > adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?

  3. Re: Continuous Request

    Equipment equals: Belkin N1 Vision Router, Belkin Range Extenders, mixed
    Belkin-hField WiFire-Other Adapters all on WPA2 security. The computers that
    repeatedly show up as 'Requests' every few seconds/minutes are expected
    clients and connected to the network but no other computers do this. Maybe
    I'll update the N1 Vision firmware and see if there's a bug fix ready or as
    you stated Jack, just ignore the log. Everything seems to work great other
    than the anomalous security log entries. Thanks!

    > Hi
    > Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
    > signal.
    > As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and
    > others) would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your
    > Radio/TV that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you
    > choose the one that you want to use).
    > I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
    > authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
    > However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
    > computers did not actually log on and use the network.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "iPC" wrote in message
    >> I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
    >> wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on
    >> one router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a
    >> "request" every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer
    >> illiterate, use computers manufactured by different companies and
    >> dissimilar "G" adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?

  4. Re: Continuous Request

    Hi
    Try to ID the computer, it might be one of your clients with an infested
    computer, or some one who is trying to illegally hack and logon to the
    service.
    If you can ID the computer block it in the Router. If it is an existing
    client he would complain that there is No service, and you would be able to
    help him fixing his problem.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "iPC" wrote in message
    > Equipment equals: Belkin N1 Vision Router, Belkin Range Extenders, mixed
    > Belkin-hField WiFire-Other Adapters all on WPA2 security. The computers
    > that repeatedly show up as 'Requests' every few seconds/minutes are
    > expected clients and connected to the network but no other computers do
    > this. Maybe I'll update the N1 Vision firmware and see if there's a bug
    > fix ready or as you stated Jack, just ignore the log. Everything seems to
    > work great other than the anomalous security log entries. Thanks!
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
    >> signal.
    >> As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and
    >> others) would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your
    >> Radio/TV that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you
    >> choose the one that you want to use).
    >> I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
    >> authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
    >> However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
    >> computers did not actually log on and use the network.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "iPC" wrote in message
    >>> I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple
    >>> outdoor wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred
    >>> clients. But on one router, two clients' computers show up in the
    >>> security log with a "request" every few seconds. These clients are
    >>> mostly computer illiterate, use computers manufactured by different
    >>> companies and dissimilar "G" adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?

+ Reply to Thread