wireless printing is very slow - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless printing is very slow - Wireless ; My wireless printing setup is very slow. -- Printing a single page from my wireless laptakes several minutes. After selecting file-print it taked about a minute to open the print dialogue box. Then another minute or so to actually print. ...

  1. wireless printing is very slow

    My wireless printing setup is very slow.
    -- Printing a single page from my wireless laptakes several minutes.
    After selecting file-print it taked about a minute to open the print
    dialogue box. Then another minute or so to actually print.
    -- Opening the printer properties window from my wireless laptop takes
    about 1 minute
    -- Printing from the printer's host computer is basically instant
    -- Opening the printer properties from the printer host computer is
    instant.

    -- host computer = Win XP Home
    -- laptop = Vista Home Premium; Dell Inspiron 1520; intel draft-n
    wireless card
    -- router = RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router Gigabit Edition, WNR854T,
    configured for multimode wireless
    -- printer = canon S900 with the latest XP and Vista Drivers just
    downloaded from canon last night...I think.I loaded the S900's Vista
    add on driver in to the XP machine, then I added the printer to my
    Vista machine across the wireless network. I assume that picked up
    the Vista add on.

    Any idea how to speed up my wireless printing? Thank you.

  2. Re: wireless printing is very slow

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 04:06:50 -0800 (PST), bighead wrote:

    >My wireless printing setup is very slow.
    >-- Printing a single page from my wireless laptakes several minutes.
    >After selecting file-print it taked about a minute to open the print
    >dialogue box. Then another minute or so to actually print.
    >-- Opening the printer properties window from my wireless laptop takes
    >about 1 minute
    >-- Printing from the printer's host computer is basically instant
    >-- Opening the printer properties from the printer host computer is
    >instant.
    >
    >-- host computer = Win XP Home
    >-- laptop = Vista Home Premium; Dell Inspiron 1520; intel draft-n
    >wireless card
    >-- router = RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router Gigabit Edition, WNR854T,
    >configured for multimode wireless
    >-- printer = canon S900 with the latest XP and Vista Drivers just
    >downloaded from canon last night...I think.I loaded the S900's Vista
    >add on driver in to the XP machine, then I added the printer to my
    >Vista machine across the wireless network. I assume that picked up
    >the Vista add on.
    >
    >Any idea how to speed up my wireless printing? Thank you.

    Wifi and printing isn't ever going to be a good combination. WiFi is a shared
    medium, and print jobs involve a lot of network traffic, depending upon the
    content that's being printed. WiFi is subject to a lot of problems, that
    Ethernet isn't.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...-ethernet.html

    How does the printer connect to the network? Ethernet, WiFi, or to the other
    computer?

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: wireless printing is very slow

    Here are some other observables. Basically, its slow on all my
    networked computers.

    All of these combinations resulted in slow printing and the properties
    dialogue box taking >1 minute to open.
    -- On a vista laptop connected hardwire via 100MB ethernet
    -- On an XP pro latop connected via wifi (11g) and via hardwire 100MB
    ethernet

    The wireless is a little slower that then the hardwired computers, but
    not very much slow.

  4. Re: wireless printing is very slow

    > How does the printer connect to the network? Ethernet, WiFi, or to te other
    > computer?

    The printer is connect to the XP Home PC via usb cable. The XP Home
    PC then shares the printer.

+ Reply to Thread