Remote desktop access - Wireless

This is a discussion on Remote desktop access - Wireless ; I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem pinging. I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I ...

  1. Remote desktop access

    I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem pinging.
    I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am
    using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote desktop
    access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual computers).
    I receive this message.
    The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.

    ANY IDEAS.

  2. Re: Remote desktop access

    "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    >I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem
    >pinging.
    > I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am
    > using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote
    > desktop
    > access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    > computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual
    > computers).
    > I receive this message.
    > The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.
    >
    > ANY IDEAS.

    try just typing in the name or ip address of the machine you want to connect
    to.

  3. Re: Remote desktop access

    I forgot to mention that I have done that - I get the message that the
    computer may be busy or network settings may not be correct

    "Dave" wrote:

    > "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    > >I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem
    > >pinging.
    > > I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am
    > > using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote
    > > desktop
    > > access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    > > computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual
    > > computers).
    > > I receive this message.
    > > The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.
    > >
    > > ANY IDEAS.

    > try just typing in the name or ip address of the machine you want to connect
    > to.

  4. Re: Remote desktop access

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    >I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem
    >pinging.
    > I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am
    > using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote
    > desktop
    > access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    > computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual
    > computers).
    > I receive this message.
    > The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.
    >
    > ANY IDEAS.

  5. Re: Remote desktop access

    Jack thanks for the links but I have followed them already with no luck - I
    do not believe my PC is listening on TCP Port 3389 in fact it is not even
    listed on netstat -a command as an active connection?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    > >I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem
    > >pinging.
    > > I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I am
    > > using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote
    > > desktop
    > > access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    > > computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual
    > > computers).
    > > I receive this message.
    > > The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.
    > >
    > > ANY IDEAS.

  6. Re: Remote desktop access

    "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    > Jack thanks for the links but I have followed them already with no luck -
    > do not believe my PC is listening on TCP Port 3389 in fact it is not even
    > listed on netstat -a command as an active connection?
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    >> >I have a great wireless network - no problem file sharing - no problem
    >> >pinging.
    >> > I have set up the XP's to allow remote access. Firewalls are off. I
    >> > am
    >> > using a Linksys Router & a Linksys Access point. I cannot use remote
    >> > desktop
    >> > access inside my network which is all I want to do. When I browse for
    >> > computers on the network I can see my workgroup (not individual
    >> > computers).
    >> > I receive this message.
    >> > The domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.
    >> >
    >> > ANY IDEAS.

    If its not listening do you have Remote Desktop enabled on the PC your
    trying to connect to? Remember you can only remotely access/control a XP
    Pro/MCE or Vista Ultimate/Business PC. XP Home edition or Vista Home
    Premium/Basic can not act a Remote Desktop hosts. If your not sure what
    version your running type the winver command from the "Start -> Run" window.

    As far as browsing normally you can't do that in a work group environment
    without doing a registry hack.

    General Remote Desktop help...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  7. Re: Remote desktop access

    ok ok that is the problem - I am running XP home edition - I assumed since
    remote desktop is in the OS I could use it - I guess not. Can I download
    software that will allow for remote desktop inside my wireless network with 2
    XP Home edition computers?

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    > > Jack thanks for the links but I have followed them already with no luck -
    > > do not believe my PC is listening on TCP Port 3389 in fact it is not even
    > > listed on netstat -a command as an active connection?
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> May be this can Help.
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
    > >>
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    > >>
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "WRANGLER" wrote in message

    > If its not listening do you have Remote Desktop enabled on the PC your
    > trying to connect to? Remember you can only remotely access/control a XP
    > Pro/MCE or Vista Ultimate/Business PC. XP Home edition or Vista Home
    > Premium/Basic can not act a Remote Desktop hosts. If your not sure what
    > version your running type the winver command from the "Start -> Run" window.
    >
    > As far as browsing normally you can't do that in a work group environment
    > without doing a registry hack.

    > General Remote Desktop help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  8. Re: Remote desktop access

    "WRANGLER" wrote in message
    > ok ok that is the problem - I am running XP home edition - I assumed since
    > remote desktop is in the OS I could use it - I guess not. Can I download
    > software that will allow for remote desktop inside my wireless network
    > with 2
    > XP Home edition computers?

    I always recommend UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in and mirror driver in
    a case like this.

    http://www.uvnc.com

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)