VPN - Wireless

This is a discussion on VPN - Wireless ; I have set up a VPN between 2 Win XP Computers. (One is the home edition the other one Pro) I don't have a Domain, and every time I try to connect from the one PC this window keeps on ...

  1. VPN

    I have set up a VPN between 2 Win XP Computers.
    (One is the home edition the other one Pro)

    I don't have a Domain, and every time I try to connect from the one PC this
    window keeps on poping up

    "Windows was unable to connect to the network using the user name and
    password you provided. Please re-enter the user name and password
    You can enter a domain name or leave the domain field empty... "

    I have read the Post of "VPN Between two XP computers"
    and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

    or can it be my router? if so, how can I configure the router... and I have
    already visited this site http://www.portforward.com and they don't have my
    router listed. Its a Telkom Premium Combo ADSL and Wireless router. Help
    would greatly be appreciated.

    Thank you in advance...

  2. Re: VPN

    "ViRo" wrote in message
    >I have set up a VPN between 2 Win XP Computers.
    > (One is the home edition the other one Pro)
    >
    > I don't have a Domain, and every time I try to connect from the one PC
    > this
    > window keeps on poping up
    >
    > "Windows was unable to connect to the network using the user name and
    > password you provided. Please re-enter the user name and password
    > You can enter a domain name or leave the domain field empty... "
    >
    > I have read the Post of "VPN Between two XP computers"
    > and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?
    >
    > or can it be my router? if so, how can I configure the router... and I
    > have
    > already visited this site http://www.portforward.com and they don't have
    > my
    > router listed. Its a Telkom Premium Combo ADSL and Wireless router. Help
    > would greatly be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you in advance...

    Well, first did you check off which user(s) can access your XP VPN server?
    You do that during setup of the server or by going into the VPN properties
    for that connection. See Step 11 on this page...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm

    You can leave the domain name blank if your in a work group environment.

    Beyond that you need to make sure your router is configured to forward TCP
    Port 1723 to the server PC and enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic through it.
    Some routers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" or
    automatically pass GRE Protocol 47 traffic when TCP Port 1723 is opened. You
    can test this by using the test described in the "PPTP Ping" and "VPN
    Traffic" sections on this page.

    Note this can be problematic with some consumer grade routers. If the test
    fails and you can trace it to the router you could try upgrading the router
    firmware or think about purchasing a router that does support this.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...