Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto - Wireless

This is a discussion on Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto - Wireless ; I installed a new network at home for my parents using a linksys wireless router running tkip encryption. My dad is running a laptop with vista and and there is a laptop and a desktop hardlined which all can connect ...

  1. Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto

    I installed a new network at home for my parents using a linksys wireless
    router running tkip encryption. My dad is running a laptop with vista and
    and there is a laptop and a desktop hardlined which all can connect to the
    internet. the problem is when ever i try to connect to the network with my
    laptop that is running xp i cant select tkip as an option for the network. I
    can see the network but I cant connect. can some one tell me what i am doing
    wrong.

  2. Re: Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto

    "Dtak248" wrote in message
    >I installed a new network at home for my parents using a linksys wireless
    > router running tkip encryption. My dad is running a laptop with vista and
    > and there is a laptop and a desktop hardlined which all can connect to the
    > internet. the problem is when ever i try to connect to the network with
    > my
    > laptop that is running xp i cant select tkip as an option for the network.
    > can see the network but I cant connect. can some one tell me what i am
    > doing
    > wrong.

    Do you know whether the wireless adapter in the subject laptop supports
    tkip?
    Jim

  3. Re: Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto

    what wireless adapter is in the laptop? what driver? you may need a
    newer driver. and the router may need new firmware. need more detail
    to be of any real assistance.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Trouble connecting to a router with tkip encryption on my xp lapto

    Hi
    Windows Wireless manger takes it configuration capacities from the Wireless
    Drivers.
    If the Driver does not design to support a security mode, it would not
    appear in Windows Wireless Configuration as a choice.
    As posted by the other members, might be that more recent Drivers have
    better support, or you might need to buy a new card.

    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security -

    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    ..

    "Dtak248" wrote in message
    >I installed a new network at home for my parents using a linksys wireless
    > router running tkip encryption. My dad is running a laptop with vista and
    > and there is a laptop and a desktop hardlined which all can connect to the
    > internet. the problem is when ever i try to connect to the network with
    > my
    > laptop that is running xp i cant select tkip as an option for the network.
    > can see the network but I cant connect. can some one tell me what i am
    > doing
    > wrong.

+ Reply to Thread