Netcomm NB5 - Wireless

This is a discussion on Netcomm NB5 - Wireless ; Why is my NB5 "modem/router" described as such when it only has 1 Ethernet port (and 1 USB port)?...

  1. Netcomm NB5

    Why is my NB5 "modem/router" described as such when it only has 1 Ethernet
    port (and 1 USB port)?

  2. Re: Netcomm NB5

    Hi
    A Modem. Is a device that bridges Between the general media signal ((cable
    or telephone line) and your computer to bring in the Internet signal (Like a
    door man between the outside traffic and the tenants in the building).

    A Routing circuit is an electronic circuit that directs Internet connection
    to few commuters using one shared connection (like a Cop directing traffic).

    A switch is a device that acts as a center to connect few computers together
    (like hallways that connect between rooms in the house).

    A Combo Modem/Router put these three aspects into one plastic box.

    In your case the switch part has only one RJ-45 port, and one USB port.
    These combos are usually given for free by the ISPs to their subscriber a
    one ort switch is less expensive than 4 ports.

    You need more ports?

    Buy a switch and connect it to the one port.

    Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166006

    Since the above is a 5ports switch connecting it to the one port would
    result with 4 open ports for four computers.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:47686e46$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Why is my NB5 "modem/router" described as such when it only has 1 Ethernet
    > port (and 1 USB port)?

+ Reply to Thread