punkbuster init kick problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on punkbuster init kick problems - Wireless ; Is my wireless router conection giving me this problem I cant play any multiplayer games anymore ie Fear sorta unrelated to nvidia but I do have an new 8800 gt tia...

  1. punkbuster init kick problems

    Is my wireless router conection giving me this problem I cant play any
    multiplayer games anymore ie Fear
    sorta unrelated to nvidia but I do have an new 8800 gt tia

  2. Re: punkbuster init kick problems

    Peter wrote:
    > Is my wireless router conection giving me this problem I cant play any
    > multiplayer games anymore ie Fear
    > sorta unrelated to nvidia but I do have an new 8800 gt tia

    Yeah, this is a little bit of topic, but a new problem for gamers, which
    are nvidia customers, so relevant.

    Punkbuster runs as a service now, and both PnkBstrA.EXE and PnkBstrB.exe
    need full internet access rights. One of them "A", I think, has to
    constantly update itself while "B" does not.

    Each game has a different version of "A" and if you don't let "A" get
    through your firewall you will have a version mismatch at the server and
    get booted after the timeout period.

    Not to mention, even if you properly configure your internet firewall
    settings to allow A+B traffic, the changed executable will be flagged as
    a different program the next time you download a different version,
    which happens with no notification, which could boot you again!

    You could go to evenbalance.com and download the stand-alone version of
    the Punkbuster program, which has a front end that shows you the status
    of all punkbuster enabled games (and there are many) and the current and
    different versions for each one. Plus an update feature that happens
    before you load the game in question, useful for troubleshooting.

    Lastly, some versions of "A" or "B" are just plain broken, and/or out of
    sync with the server you are trying to join, so you will never get in
    until you both get new and matching versions that work, which you have
    no control over.

    Does punkbuster even work? Is it all worth it? Hard to say, I see it as
    effective as "The Club" in stopping car thieves.

+ Reply to Thread