Switching between wired and wireless - Wireless

This is a discussion on Switching between wired and wireless - Wireless ; Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen involve convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual process, and we don't find ...

  1. Switching between wired and wireless

    Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen involve
    convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual process,
    and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.

    Tom

  2. Re: Switching between wired and wireless

    "blooney" wrote in message
    > Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    > interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen
    > involve
    > convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual
    > process,
    > and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.
    >
    > Tom

    Not in XP itself but Toshiba laptops come with an application
    that switches to wired if it is available and to wireless if wired
    is not available.

  3. Re: Switching between wired and wireless

    Unfortunately, these are not Toshiba laptops, and the driver does not offer
    an option to auto-disable (as has been mentioned exists in some other NIC
    drivers).

    Still looking for that "magic bullet." Thanks for the suggestion.

    Tom

    "John" wrote:

    > "blooney" wrote in message
    > > Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    > > interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen
    > > involve
    > > convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual
    > > process,
    > > and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.
    > >
    > > Tom

    > Not in XP itself but Toshiba laptops come with an application
    > that switches to wired if it is available and to wireless if wired
    > is not available.

  4. Re: Switching between wired and wireless

    Hi
    If you do not mind that the Wireless would stay On but would not be used
    when the wire is connected and a live.
    Configuring Metrics, or how to choose the default connection between Wired
    and Wireless Connections - http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Otherwise Drag a short cut to the Desktop, or Start, or Quick launch, from
    the Connection Icon (in the Control Panel/network Connection).
    When needed, right click on the Icon and click Disable (right click and
    Enable there after).
    Even the most "klutzy" user should be able to right click once and click
    Disable/Enable.
    You can go fancy too, look for a macro program, and voice control
    application, create a macro that does the right click Disable/Enable and use
    voice command to execute the macro.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "blooney" wrote in message
    > Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    > interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen
    > involve
    > convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual
    > process,
    > and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.
    >
    > Tom

  5. Re: Switching between wired and wireless

    We'll give the metrics suggestion a try. Thanks for the tip.

    Tom

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If you do not mind that the Wireless would stay On but would not be used
    > when the wire is connected and a live.
    > Configuring Metrics, or how to choose the default connection between Wired
    > and Wireless Connections - http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    > Otherwise Drag a short cut to the Desktop, or Start, or Quick launch, from
    > the Connection Icon (in the Control Panel/network Connection).
    > When needed, right click on the Icon and click Disable (right click and
    > Enable there after).
    > Even the most "klutzy" user should be able to right click once and click
    > Disable/Enable.
    > You can go fancy too, look for a macro program, and voice control
    > application, create a macro that does the right click Disable/Enable and use
    > voice command to execute the macro.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "blooney" wrote in message
    > > Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    > > interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen
    > > involve
    > > convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual
    > > process,
    > > and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.
    > >
    > > Tom

  6. METRIC WIRELESS

    Tom,

    Did the suggestion to use metrics work? I work from home and need the wire when working with large file transfers but I like to switch back to wireless 80% of the time. Now I flip switches and reset the router. Seems like there should be an easier way?

  7. Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    Well, if a person is smart, they always have one of the Nics disabled to
    avoid the two-active-nics-on-the-same-network issue. So just enable the one
    you want to use and disable the other. Then flip them around when you need
    to go the other way.

    The machine I am writing this with has a wired and wireless nics,...only one
    is ever enabled at a time. The wirless is enable/disabled with a keystroke
    (physical switch on some laptops),...the wired one is enabled/disable in the
    Properties of Network Places, or Device Manager, or even the icon down by
    the clock,..it is a simple right-click menu.

    Reset the router? There is no need for that at all,..the router doesn't
    really have anything to do with it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    wrote in message
    > Tom,
    >
    > Did the suggestion to use metrics work? I work from home and need the
    > wire when working with large file transfers but I like to switch back to
    > wireless 80% of the time. Now I flip switches and reset the router. Seems
    > like there should be an easier way?

  8. Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    Hi
    Metrics setting for Network Card is Not a Mind reading guessing what you
    would like to do.
    For your purpose if you put the Metrics preference on the wire connection,
    as long as the wire is unplugged from the computer it would use the
    Wireless.
    If you plan to use the wire connection, plug it, in and it would
    automatically switch to the wire card, even if the Wireless stays ON.

    "Patrick Murray" wrote in message
    > Tom,
    >
    > Did the suggestion to use metrics work? I work from home and need the
    > wire when working with large file transfers but I like to switch back to
    > wireless 80% of the time. Now I flip switches and reset the router. Seems
    > like there should be an easier way?

  9. Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:51:22 -0700, Patrick Murray wrote:

    >Seems like there should be an easier way?

    Try googling for "hardware profiles". Perhaps that might be of
    interest to you.

    Jim.

+ Reply to Thread