Wireless adapter causing system error - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless adapter causing system error - Wireless ; Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At the ...

  1. Wireless adapter causing system error

    Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but
    comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At
    home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At
    the office there are several, nearly all of which are secure. The computer
    has recently had most of its components replaced, including a new hard disk,
    and Windows has been reinstalled, including SP2. If I disable the wireless
    adapter, there is no error.

    Any ideas?

    Lon Sarnoff

  2. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    Lon Sarnoff wrote:
    > Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but
    > comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At
    > home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At
    > the office there are several, nearly all of which are secure. The computer
    > has recently had most of its components replaced, including a new hard disk,
    > and Windows has been reinstalled, including SP2. If I disable the wireless
    > adapter, there is no error.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Lon Sarnoff

    Providing the details of the "serious system error," including the stop
    code, might help. Another interesting tidbit would be to tell us if you
    have "connected perfectly at home" *after* you made all of those changes.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  3. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    Hi
    How do you expect to connect in the office, do you have the security code,
    or and the logon credentials or you are just trying and erroring to connect
    to protected, or special netwroks.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Lon Sarnoff wrote:
    >> Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home,
    >> but comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a
    >> stop. At home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a
    >> neighbor's. At the office there are several, nearly all of which are
    >> secure. The computer has recently had most of its components replaced,
    >> including a new hard disk, and Windows has been reinstalled, including
    >> SP2. If I disable the wireless adapter, there is no error.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Lon Sarnoff
    >>

    > Providing the details of the "serious system error," including the stop
    > code, might help. Another interesting tidbit would be to tell us if you
    > have "connected perfectly at home" *after* you made all of those changes.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  4. RE: Wireless adapter causing system error

    The stop code was 0x0000000A
    parameter 1 = 0xFF111072
    parameter 2 = 0x00000002
    parameter 3 = 0x00000000
    paramtere 4 = 0x80406B8C

    I was attempting, and indeed had successfully connected at the office
    through a secured connection using a WEP.

    Since posting I have had an idea. At home, the router's name is the
    default, unchanged name, linksys. I now realize that there is a connection
    in my office building also called linksys, a network different from the
    linksys at home. I suspect that my laptop has been trying to connect to the
    linksys at the office using configuration information related to the linksys
    at home. Do you think that might be possible, and might be causing the
    problem?

    "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:

    > Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but
    > comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At
    > home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At
    > the office there are several, nearly all of which are secure. The computer
    > has recently had most of its components replaced, including a new hard disk,
    > and Windows has been reinstalled, including SP2. If I disable the wireless
    > adapter, there is no error.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Lon Sarnoff

  5. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    Lon Sarnoff wrote:
    > The stop code was 0x0000000A
    > parameter 1 = 0xFF111072
    > parameter 2 = 0x00000002
    > parameter 3 = 0x00000000
    > paramtere 4 = 0x80406B8C
    >
    > I was attempting, and indeed had successfully connected at the office
    > through a secured connection using a WEP.
    >
    > Since posting I have had an idea. At home, the router's name is the
    > default, unchanged name, linksys. I now realize that there is a connection
    > in my office building also called linksys, a network different from the
    > linksys at home. I suspect that my laptop has been trying to connect to the
    > linksys at the office using configuration information related to the linksys
    > at home. Do you think that might be possible, and might be causing the
    > problem?
    >
    > "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:
    >
    >> Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but
    >> comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At
    >> home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At
    >> the office there are several, nearly all of which are secure. The computer
    >> has recently had most of its components replaced, including a new hard disk,
    >> and Windows has been reinstalled, including SP2. If I disable the wireless
    >> adapter, there is no error.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Lon Sarnoff

    If you received "0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" see
    http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x0a

    Because you said that you had changed many hardware components and also
    reinstalled WinXP, and also because you said that the problem doesn't
    happen if you disable the wireless adapter, my guess is that you didn't
    install the proper driver for your wireless adapter when you reinstalled
    WinXP.

    You didn't say whether you had successfully connected anywhere (home or
    office) since you reinstalled.

    Completely apart from the 0xA stop code, your concern about connecting
    to the wrong wireless network is well-founded. If there are two
    wireless networks with the same name, one with encryption and the other
    without, you will have problems connecting to one or the other. Do the
    following, assuming that you are using Windows to configure the wireless
    adapter in your computer:

    1. From "View Available Wireless Networks" ("Choose a wireless
    network") screen, under "Network Tasks," click on "Change the order of
    preferred networks."

    2. You will see a list of "Preferred networks." I suggest that you
    delete *all* of these.

    3. Access your router's configuration utility using a computer
    connected to it by Ethernet cable. This can be a temporary connection.
    Change the SSID of the router to something unique and recognizable
    other than your name or address. While you're at it, set your router to
    use WPA2 or WPA encryption (you want the "personal," PSK, or "pre-shared
    key" flavor of WPA/WPA2). WEP encryption is so outdated (it didn't take
    very long) that it can be cracked in a few minutes using utilities
    easily available on the Internet. If the wireless adapter in your
    laptop is reasonably new, and has an up-to-date driver, it should
    support WPA2. Make sure that you have installed the Windows Update from
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021

    You'll now be able to connect to your home network (and recognize it by
    its unique SSID) by entering the WPA/WPA2 password you configured in
    your router. If you also want to connect to the "linksys" network at
    work, you can do that too, by entering the appropriate passkey for that
    network. By using separate names, you won't confuse the Windows
    wireless configuration utility.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  6. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    In addition to everything else that has been stated, it is
    considered bad practice to NOT change the name of the SSID from
    whatever was supplied by the manufacturer. You might suggest to the
    person that runs your office network that they change the SSID name
    from Linksys to something else.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  7. RE: Wireless adapter causing system error

    I eliminated the ambiguity between the two "linksys" routers by renaming the
    one at home. Connection at home continues to be perfect. As soon as windows
    attempts the connection at the office (to a secured network), it crashes. If
    I disable the network adapter, there is no problem in the bootup. Very
    bizarre! Any further suggestions?

    "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:

    > The stop code was 0x0000000A
    > parameter 1 = 0xFF111072
    > parameter 2 = 0x00000002
    > parameter 3 = 0x00000000
    > paramtere 4 = 0x80406B8C
    >
    > I was attempting, and indeed had successfully connected at the office
    > through a secured connection using a WEP.
    >
    > Since posting I have had an idea. At home, the router's name is the
    > default, unchanged name, linksys. I now realize that there is a connection
    > in my office building also called linksys, a network different from the
    > linksys at home. I suspect that my laptop has been trying to connect to the
    > linksys at the office using configuration information related to the linksys
    > at home. Do you think that might be possible, and might be causing the
    > problem?
    >
    > "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:
    >
    > > Operating under Windows XP Home, my laptop connects perfectly at home, but
    > > comes up with a serious system error at my office which produce a stop. At
    > > home there are two unsecure networks recognized, mine and a neighbor's. At
    > > the office there are several, nearly all of which are secure. The computer
    > > has recently had most of its components replaced, including a new hard disk,
    > > and Windows has been reinstalled, including SP2. If I disable the wireless
    > > adapter, there is no error.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Lon Sarnoff

  8. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    SSID name and that WEP is not secure.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  9. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    It turns out that the connection names was not the problem, for the system
    error continued even after deleting the "linksys" names for the profiles list.

    Further research disclosed that Intel has a more recent driver version. I
    have downloaded Intel's generic version of the driver, and the problem
    appears to have disappeared.

    What is annoying is that the fresh reinstall of the XP system, followed by
    Windows Update, did not cause an update of the driver. (I guess that drivers
    are beyond the purview of the Automatic Update.)

    Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I hope this information might help
    others who encounter the same problem.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    > wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    > the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    > SSID name and that WEP is not secure.
    >
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I eliminated the ambiguity between the two "linksys" routers by renaming the
    > >one at home. Connection at home continues to be perfect. As soon as windows
    > >attempts the connection at the office (to a secured network), it crashes. If
    > >I disable the network adapter, there is no problem in the bootup. Very
    > >bizarre! Any further suggestions?
    > >
    > >"Lon Sarnoff" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The stop code was 0x0000000A
    > >> parameter 1 = 0xFF111072
    > >> parameter 2 = 0x00000002
    > >> parameter 3 = 0x00000000
    > >> paramtere 4 = 0x80406B8C
    > >>
    > >> I was attempting, and indeed had successfully connected at the office
    > >> through a secured connection using a WEP.
    > >>
    > >> Since posting I have had an idea. At home, the router's name is the
    > >> default, unchanged name, linksys. I now realize that there is a connection
    > >> in my office building also called linksys, a network different from the
    > >> linksys at home. I suspect that my laptop has been trying to connect to the
    > >> linksys at the office using configuration information related to the linksys
    > >> at home. Do you think that might be possible, and might be causing the
    > >> problem?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  10. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    thanks for the update. can you please post the version and link of
    the driver that resolved the issue for you?

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:51:00 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    wrote:

    >It turns out that the connection names was not the problem, for the system
    >error continued even after deleting the "linksys" names for the profiles list.
    >
    >Further research disclosed that Intel has a more recent driver version. I
    >have downloaded Intel's generic version of the driver, and the problem
    >appears to have disappeared.
    >
    >What is annoying is that the fresh reinstall of the XP system, followed by
    >Windows Update, did not cause an update of the driver. (I guess that drivers
    >are beyond the purview of the Automatic Update.)
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I hope this information might help
    >others who encounter the same problem.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    >> wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    >> the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    >> SSID name and that WEP is not secure.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I eliminated the ambiguity between the two "linksys" routers by renaming the
    >> >one at home. Connection at home continues to be perfect. As soon as windows
    >> >attempts the connection at the office (to a secured network), it crashes. If
    >> >I disable the network adapter, there is no problem in the bootup. Very
    >> >bizarre! Any further suggestions?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  11. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    The version of the driver for the Intel 2200BG Network Adapter which seems to
    have fixed the problem is 9.0.4.37. The link to the download is as follows:

    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...agr=N&lang=eng

    I hope this might help others who confront this problem.

    "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:

    > It turns out that the connection names was not the problem, for the system
    > error continued even after deleting the "linksys" names for the profiles list.
    >
    > Further research disclosed that Intel has a more recent driver version. I
    > have downloaded Intel's generic version of the driver, and the problem
    > appears to have disappeared.
    >
    > What is annoying is that the fresh reinstall of the XP system, followed by
    > Windows Update, did not cause an update of the driver. (I guess that drivers
    > are beyond the purview of the Automatic Update.)
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I hope this information might help
    > others who encounter the same problem.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    > > wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    > > the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    > > SSID name and that WEP is not secure.
    > >
    > > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I eliminated the ambiguity between the two "linksys" routers by renaming the
    > > >one at home. Connection at home continues to be perfect. As soon as windows
    > > >attempts the connection at the office (to a secured network), it crashes. If
    > > >I disable the network adapter, there is no problem in the bootup. Very
    > > >bizarre! Any further suggestions?

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  12. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    One more point. I never did satisfactorily resolve the origin of the problem
    in which the computer worked flawlessly at home, but consistently failed at
    the office. There clearly is a difference in the two "environments." I
    suspect that the problem was interference between a cordless telephone
    operating at the same frequency as the adapter, 2.4 GHz. This apparently is
    a "known issue" with a different router.
    Yet the phone and the computer had coexisted for many months until it
    suddenly started to cause system errors. (Who knows? Maybe the telephone had
    recently been switched to operate on the same channel as the network
    adapter.)

    "Lon Sarnoff" wrote:

    > It turns out that the connection names was not the problem, for the system
    > error continued even after deleting the "linksys" names for the profiles list.
    >
    > Further research disclosed that Intel has a more recent driver version. I
    > have downloaded Intel's generic version of the driver, and the problem
    > appears to have disappeared.
    >
    > What is annoying is that the fresh reinstall of the XP system, followed by
    > Windows Update, did not cause an update of the driver. (I guess that drivers
    > are beyond the purview of the Automatic Update.)
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I hope this information might help
    > others who encounter the same problem.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    > > wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    > > the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    > > SSID name and that WEP is not secure.
    > >
    > > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I eliminated the ambiguity between the two "linksys" routers by renaming the
    > > >one at home. Connection at home continues to be perfect. As soon as windows
    > > >attempts the connection at the office (to a secured network), it crashes. If
    > > >I disable the network adapter, there is no problem in the bootup. Very
    > > >bizarre! Any further suggestions?

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  13. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    thanks for posting the link

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:58:02 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    wrote:

    >The version of the driver for the Intel 2200BG Network Adapter which seems to
    >have fixed the problem is 9.0.4.37. The link to the download is as follows:
    >
    >http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...agr=N&lang=eng
    >
    >I hope this might help others who confront this problem.
    >

    >"Lon Sarnoff" wrote:
    >
    >> It turns out that the connection names was not the problem, for the system
    >> error continued even after deleting the "linksys" names for the profiles list.
    >>
    >> Further research disclosed that Intel has a more recent driver version. I
    >> have downloaded Intel's generic version of the driver, and the problem
    >> appears to have disappeared.
    >>
    >> What is annoying is that the fresh reinstall of the XP system, followed by
    >> Windows Update, did not cause an update of the driver. (I guess that drivers
    >> are beyond the purview of the Automatic Update.)
    >>
    >> Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I hope this information might help
    >> others who encounter the same problem.
    >>

    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >>
    >> > delete any connections named Linksys in the list of preferred
    >> > wireless networks on the computer. restart. what happens? and tell
    >> > the folks at work who run the network that they should change the
    >> > SSID name and that WEP is not secure.

    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Barb Bowman
    >> > MS Windows-MVP
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >> > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  14. Re: Wireless adapter causing system error

    Can you ask them to switch from WEP (not at all secure) to WPA2 or
    at least WPA? I'm surprised that anyone using a Linksys router in an
    office environment is willing to risk everything by using WEP.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP