File sharing between wireless and ethernet - Wireless

This is a discussion on File sharing between wireless and ethernet - Wireless ; Hi, I'm having trouble getting my computers to see each other. I have a wireless router (DLink DI-624) into which I have connected my cable modem and my desktop computer both by ethernet cable. I also have my laptop connected ...

  1. File sharing between wireless and ethernet

    Hi,

    I'm having trouble getting my computers to see each other.

    I have a wireless router (DLink DI-624) into which I have connected my cable
    modem and my desktop computer both by ethernet cable. I also have my laptop
    connected to the internet through through the wireless side of the router.

    I can't however seem to get my computers to recognize that the other is
    there. Both are recognized by the router and I have set both of them up
    through the network connection wizard to be in the "home" workgroup.

    Can anyone please help me?

    Thanks

    Dan

  2. RE: File sharing between wireless and ethernet

    Hi Daniel,

    You seem to have a very similar problem to the one I'm having (see my post
    two down from yours). However, at least my wireless computers are able to
    communicate.

    One of the problems I had to begin with was the firewall on all the wireless
    computers. Make sure you add the IP addresses of your computers to the
    trusted zone on both your firewalls.

    Hope that helps somewhat,

    Mari-Anne in Montana

    "Daniel L" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having trouble getting my computers to see each other.
    >
    > I have a wireless router (DLink DI-624) into which I have connected my cable
    > modem and my desktop computer both by ethernet cable. I also have my laptop
    > connected to the internet through through the wireless side of the router.
    >
    > I can't however seem to get my computers to recognize that the other is
    > there. Both are recognized by the router and I have set both of them up
    > through the network connection wizard to be in the "home" workgroup.
    >
    > Can anyone please help me?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan

  3. Re: File sharing between wireless and ethernet

    "Daniel L" L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having trouble getting my computers to see each other.
    >
    > I have a wireless router (DLink DI-624) into which I have connected my
    > cable
    > modem and my desktop computer both by ethernet cable. I also have my
    > laptop
    > connected to the internet through through the wireless side of the router.
    >
    > I can't however seem to get my computers to recognize that the other is
    > there. Both are recognized by the router and I have set both of them up
    > through the network connection wizard to be in the "home" workgroup.
    >
    > Can anyone please help me?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan

    Something is blocking ICMP packets on both of the computers. A
    misconfigured firewall is the usual problem.
    Jim

  4. Re: File sharing between wireless and ethernet

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:40:01 -0800, Daniel L L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm having trouble getting my computers to see each other.
    >
    >I have a wireless router (DLink DI-624) into which I have connected my cable
    >modem and my desktop computer both by ethernet cable. I also have my laptop
    >connected to the internet through through the wireless side of the router.
    >
    >I can't however seem to get my computers to recognize that the other is
    >there. Both are recognized by the router and I have set both of them up
    >through the network connection wizard to be in the "home" workgroup.
    >
    >Can anyone please help me?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Dan

    What version of Windows do the computers have?

    If they have Windows XP:

    1. Run the Network Setup Wizard (in Start > All Programs > Accessories
    > Communications) on each computer. If the Wizard detects the

    router's shared Internet connection, tell the Wizard to use that.
    Otherwise, tell the Wizard that the computer connects to the Internet
    through a residential gateway. Tell the Wizard to enable File and
    Printer Sharing.

    2. Configure any firewall program to allow access by other computers
    on the local area network. Note that some antivirus programs, such as
    Norton and PC-cillin, have firewall components that have to be
    configured.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com