Need help - almost there - Wireless

This is a discussion on Need help - almost there - Wireless ; I have a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router 2.4GHz, connected to my desktop computer via an Ethernet cable. I also have two additional desktop computers and a laptop connected to the network via wireless adapters. Everything is working great - we ...

  1. Need help - almost there

    I have a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router 2.4GHz, connected to my desktop
    computer via an Ethernet cable. I also have two additional desktop computers
    and a laptop connected to the network via wireless adapters. Everything is
    working great - we can all access the Internet - we can all ping each other
    and get replies. I can share printing capabilites between the wireless
    computers but not the desktop computer with the Ethernet connection.

    When I search for the various computers via Start > Search > Computers or
    People, all the wireless computers find each other but not the Ethernet
    desktop. However, the Ethernet desktop finds all the other three wireless
    computers.

    I've got my HP Officejet Pro connected to my Ethernet desktop,and I would
    like to be able to print from it from the wireless computers but am unable to
    do so. Oh, by the way, all computers are running Windows XP svc pack 2.

    Does any kind soul have a solution? Much appreciated,

  2. RE: Need help - almost there

    I should also mention that I have added the IP addresses of all computers to
    the trusted zones of all the respective firewalls.

    Mari-Anne

  3. Re: Need help - almost there

    Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mari-Anne in Montana" wrote
    in message news:632C7453-7578-4B5F-8185-D25C7A1DF905@microsoft.com...
    >I should also mention that I have added the IP addresses of all computers
    > the trusted zones of all the respective firewalls.
    >
    > Mari-Anne

  4. Re: Need help - almost there

    Hi,

    And thanks for the links. Of the ones pertaining to Windows XP and printer
    sharing, I checked all of them and find that I am complying with all the
    steps. I am not running the Windows XP firewall on any of the computers. I
    have also disabled the Norton Antivirus (temporarily) while trying to include
    my desk top computer in the printer sharing function. Any other suggestions?

    Mari-Anne

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    > each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mari-Anne in Montana" wrote
    > in message news:632C7453-7578-4B5F-8185-D25C7A1DF905@microsoft.com...
    > >I should also mention that I have added the IP addresses of all computers
    > > the trusted zones of all the respective firewalls.
    > >
    > > Mari-Anne

  5. Re: Need help - almost there

    "Mari-Anne in Montana" wrote
    in message news:E6ED7DEC-EF43-43AD-92F5-01C78B2DCD31@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > And thanks for the links. Of the ones pertaining to Windows XP and
    > printer
    > sharing, I checked all of them and find that I am complying with all the
    > steps. I am not running the Windows XP firewall on any of the computers.
    > have also disabled the Norton Antivirus (temporarily) while trying to
    > include
    > my desk top computer in the printer sharing function. Any other
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Mari-Anne
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >> settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment
    >> of
    >> each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >> Basic XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >> Advanced XP -
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Mari-Anne in Montana"
    >> wrote
    >> in message news:632C7453-7578-4B5F-8185-D25C7A1DF905@microsoft.com...
    >> >I should also mention that I have added the IP addresses of all
    >> >computers
    >> > the trusted zones of all the respective firewalls.
    >> >
    >> > Mari-Anne

    Can you ping the wired computer from each of the wireless ones? If not, the
    wired computer is not responding
    to ICMP requests, and you will not get the rest of the job done until after
    you have solved this problem.

    Usually a firewall is blocking ICMP packets. The solution to the mystery of
    this blocking resides on the wired
    computer. Perhaps there is yet another firewall running there.

    Jim

  6. Re: Need help - almost there

    Yes - all computers can ping each other and receive replies. I'm thinking
    along the same lines that the problem is with the wired desktop firewall
    and/or Norton, but I don't know what else to do. I've disabled XP's firewall
    and added all IP addresses to Zone Alarm's trusted zone. I've also disabled
    Norton Antivirus. I'm running Norton Antivirus on one of the other machines
    w/o any problem. I don't have anything else. I'm running AdAware & Spybot
    but also on the wireless systems w/o any problems. I hate to totally
    uninstall Norton Antivirus/Systemwork. Can you think of anything else?

    Mari-Anne

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Mari-Anne in Montana" wrote
    > in message news:E6ED7DEC-EF43-43AD-92F5-01C78B2DCD31@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > And thanks for the links. Of the ones pertaining to Windows XP and
    > > printer
    > > sharing, I checked all of them and find that I am complying with all the
    > > steps. I am not running the Windows XP firewall on any of the computers.
    > > have also disabled the Norton Antivirus (temporarily) while trying to
    > > include
    > > my desk top computer in the printer sharing function. Any other
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > Mari-Anne
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    > >> settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment
    > >> of
    > >> each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    > >> Basic XP -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > >> Advanced XP -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > >> Printer Sharing XP -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    > >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Mari-Anne in Montana"
    > >> wrote
    > >> in message news:632C7453-7578-4B5F-8185-D25C7A1DF905@microsoft.com...

    > Can you ping the wired computer from each of the wireless ones? If not, the
    > wired computer is not responding
    > to ICMP requests, and you will not get the rest of the job done until after
    > you have solved this problem.
    >
    > Usually a firewall is blocking ICMP packets. The solution to the mystery of
    > this blocking resides on the wired
    > computer. Perhaps there is yet another firewall running there.
    >
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread