What do I need to buy for NIC card installation? - Wireless

This is a discussion on What do I need to buy for NIC card installation? - Wireless ; I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.?? I'm ...

  1. What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??

    I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.

    http://www.powertochange.com

  2. Re: What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    "Betty J" wrote in message
    >I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    >Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    >other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??
    >
    > I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.
    >
    > http://www.powertochange.com

    If you expect to use wired connections only, then you need ethernet cables
    to connect each computer to the router.
    If you expect to use wired and wireless connections, the you need one cable
    to connect one computer to the router.
    You will need to appropriate NIC card for each computer.
    The router will arrive with a setup CD.
    The NIC cards will as well.

    Jim

  3. Re: What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    Hi
    Such a Network looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Each connection ( as shown with the black lines between the devices) need
    straight Cat5e cable.
    Example,
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10208
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Betty J" wrote in message
    >I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    >Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    >other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??
    >
    > I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.
    >
    > http://www.powertochange.com

  4. Re: What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    Betty J wrote:
    > I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    > Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    > other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??
    >
    > I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.
    >
    > http://www.powertochange.com

    The first thing to decide is whether you want (now or in the future) the
    ability to connect wirelessly. I suggest that you get a wireless router
    even if you don't plan on using that capability now; you can always turn
    off the wireless portion of the router if you don't want to worry about
    how to secure it from drive-by access. I also suggest you stay with the
    brand names, such as Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and Buffalo (there are
    probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind now).

    These days, you have essentially 3 choices for wireless routers:

    - basic 802.11g aka "wireless g"

    - wireless g with enhanced speed and/or range (various trade names,
    e.g., "turbo," "speedBooster," RangeBooster," etc.)

    - "pre-n" or "draft n" (this refers to a new wireless networking
    standard - 802.11n - that has not yet been agreed upon. The
    manufacturers are betting that the standard is close enough to agreed
    upon to make and sell devices, but there is no guarantee that the
    ultimately ratified standard will be the same as the current draft --
    which might render some "draft n" or "pre-n" products incompatible with
    future products that meet the ratified standard.

    All basic wireless g devices are compatible with all other wireless g
    devices, regardless of brand. Enhanced wireless g devices (and probably
    any draft n device purchased from now on) will be compatible with basic
    wireless g devices regardless of brand -- but only for basic wireless g
    operation. To get enhanced (or 802.11n) performance, you should pair
    devices with both the same brand and the same product family (e.g., a
    Linksys WRT54GS router with SpeedBooster with a Linksys WUSB54GSC
    adapter with SpeedBooster).

    Most SOHO and home user wireless routers also have 4 ports for
    connecting computers via Ethernet cables. Thus, you can connect up to 4
    computers by cable and turn off the wireless if you don't want/need it.

    You will need a basic cat 5e (category 5e) Ethernet cable for each
    computer that you connect to the router without wireless. Even if you
    plan to connect *all* of your computers via wireless, you will need to
    connect one of them via cable for the initial configuration of the router.

    Many (most? all?) SOHO/home user wireless routers come with an Ethernet
    cable in the box. Check the one you decide to buy (of course, it may be
    shorter than you need).

    NICs -- Unless you have a fairly old and/or inexpensive computer, it
    probably already has an Ethernet NIC. If so, you don't need another
    one. In addition, many newer laptops have a built-in wireless NIC, so
    you should check your owner's manual and/or mfr's web site.
    Desktops/towers are unlikely to have come with a wireless NIC, but you
    can buy them either as an internal PCI card or an external USB device.
    You can also buy USB or PC-Card adapters for laptops without built-in
    wireless.

    Linksys has some basic networking tutorials in flash video. Even though
    they are from Linksys, the principles apply to all brands. It's a long
    link name, so I've tinyurl'ed it: http://tinyurl.com/ytjalt
    Also see this Microsoft site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/default.mspx

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  5. Re: What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    > Hi
    > Such a Network looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > Each connection ( as shown with the black lines between the devices) need
    > straight Cat5e cable.
    > Example,
    > http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10208
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Betty J" wrote in message
    >>I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    >>Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    >>other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??
    >>
    >> I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.
    >>
    >> http://www.powertochange.com

    I'm now confused. I thought that to set up a home wireless network you
    simply need a wireless router at the central point and not a computer...

  6. Re: What do I need to buy for NIC card installation?

    Suzy wrote:
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Such a Network looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >> Each connection ( as shown with the black lines between the devices) need
    >> straight Cat5e cable.
    >> Example,
    >> http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10208
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Betty J" wrote in message
    >>> I plan to upgrade to DSL, using two computers, both use Windows XP (one is
    >>> Home, other is Professional). In addition to a router and a NIC card, what
    >>> other items do I need to get: any cables, etc.??
    >>>
    >>> I'm new at this, so I appreciate your help.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.powertochange.com
    >>>

    > I'm now confused. I thought that to set up a home wireless network you
    > simply need a wireless router at the central point and not a computer...

    That's what Jack's diagram shows -- there's only a wireless router "at
    the central point" of the local area (home) network. The router is the
    colored box even with the dotted line that says "Hardware (NAT) Firewall."

    The only computer shown -- other than the workgroup computers
    ("clients") connected to the router either by wire or wireless -- is the
    ISP's computer, and that's on the other side of the Internet from the
    home network shown in the diagram.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking