Another Router for Strong Signal? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Another Router for Strong Signal? - Wireless ; Hi: There are 5 Internet-connection in my household, large back room. Two of them are very close to Router/Modem Combo. which was provided by my ISP and installed professionally by a tech. Three PCs, however are sitting about 20 feet ...

  1. Another Router for Strong Signal?

    Hi:
    There are 5 Internet-connection in my household, large back room.
    Two of them are very close to Router/Modem Combo. which was
    provided by my ISP and installed professionally by a tech.

    Three PCs, however are sitting about 20 feet distance from the Router/Modem
    Combo. and sometime get weak signal although I manage to connect Internet.

    Can I put another Router close to those three PCs in order to get a good
    and strong signal all the time?

    Or, what do I need to get a strong signal?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. RE: Another Router for Strong Signal?

    It seems to me that 20 feet should not be a problem at all, so the first
    thing I would do is find out why you are having difficulty at such a short
    range. Since all three of your remote computers are having the same problem,
    I would suspect that the source of the problem lies with the wireless router.
    That being said, here are a couple of ideas that should work for you:

    1. You should be able to get extended-range antennas for your wireless
    router. I know Linksys has them available for their routers, but I don't know
    the part number off hand. With some searching I am sure you can find them.

    2. If, after installing the extended-range antenna to your router in step 1,
    you still need to improve your signal further, install Linksys WMP54GX PCI
    adapters with SRX in your PC's. These adapters have an external antenna stand
    with three antennas on them and they do help to improve signal strength.

    If you want to keep costs down (like me) both items mentioned above are
    available as used or new on eBay.

    "Spring06" wrote:

    > Hi:
    > There are 5 Internet-connection in my household, large back room.
    > Two of them are very close to Router/Modem Combo. which was
    > provided by my ISP and installed professionally by a tech.
    >
    > Three PCs, however are sitting about 20 feet distance from the Router/Modem
    > Combo. and sometime get weak signal although I manage to connect Internet.
    >
    > Can I put another Router close to those three PCs in order to get a good
    > and strong signal all the time?
    >
    > Or, what do I need to get a strong signal?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  3. Re: Another Router for Strong Signal?

    without details, it is hard to say. are there multiple networks in
    range? 2.4GHz phones?

    try changing the channel on the wireless. and post details on the
    equipment.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Another Router for Strong Signal?

    Thanks for the responses.

    Yes, cordless phone causing the problem.

    Thanks,