ICS not working, is it wireless or me? - Wireless

This is a discussion on ICS not working, is it wireless or me? - Wireless ; I assume I have done something wrong as I have gotten this working before, but with different equipment. In the lab where I work there is no internet but the company has wireless outside the firewall and a VPN clientless ...

  1. ICS not working, is it wireless or me?

    I assume I have done something wrong as I have gotten this working before,
    but with different equipment.

    In the lab where I work there is no internet but the company has wireless
    outside the firewall and a VPN clientless gate to get back inside.

    I set up an old thinkpad, 500mhz, with a PCMCIA D-Link. I set intenet
    sharing for the DLINK and connected an old 10baseT hub (not a switch) to the
    ethernet port of the thinkpad docking station. The hub has an embedded XP
    system plugged into it and both system see each other and I can drag and
    drop files or share. The embedded xp cannot get out on the internet. I
    then brought in a slightly more recent Dell Latitude with built in ethernet
    (not wireless) and it also cannnot get out on the internet. All 3 systems
    see one another. The IP address of the thinkpad is generated by the company
    DHCP (129.162.16x.y) and the other two use the DHCP from the old thinkpad
    and are 192.168.0.3 and .4 with .1 for the thinkpad.

    This should be working, I can make a wireless connection thru the VPN gate
    back inside the firewall from the thinkpad just fine. Irregardless, neither
    of the other two systems can get out with or without the VPN connected. The
    name service is working as they both know the IP address of , say, "cnn.com"
    but I cannnot connect using IE.

    I tried using the thinkpad on the "uplink" of the hub and then I tried using
    it on the hub side. Didnt make any difference. I am looking to replace the
    hub with a switch. I assume the thinkpad that has the ethernet access point
    needs to go into the "uplink" part of the hub. Is that correct?

    ...TIA..

    Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
    http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

  2. Re: ICS not working, is it wireless or me?

    Can you ping a public IP like 4.2.2.1? Or this link may help,

    ICS setupWindows 2000 supports both Network Address Translation (NAT) and
    Internet Confection Shading (ICS) al1ow workgroup users to access to the
    Internet. ...
    www.chicagotech.net/icssetup.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Joe Stateson" wrote in message
    >I assume I have done something wrong as I have gotten this working before,
    >but with different equipment.
    >
    > In the lab where I work there is no internet but the company has wireless
    > outside the firewall and a VPN clientless gate to get back inside.
    >
    > I set up an old thinkpad, 500mhz, with a PCMCIA D-Link. I set intenet
    > sharing for the DLINK and connected an old 10baseT hub (not a switch) to
    > the ethernet port of the thinkpad docking station. The hub has an
    > embedded XP system plugged into it and both system see each other and I
    > can drag and drop files or share. The embedded xp cannot get out on the
    > internet. I then brought in a slightly more recent Dell Latitude with
    > built in ethernet (not wireless) and it also cannnot get out on the
    > internet. All 3 systems see one another. The IP address of the thinkpad
    > is generated by the company DHCP (129.162.16x.y) and the other two use the
    > DHCP from the old thinkpad and are 192.168.0.3 and .4 with .1 for the
    > thinkpad.
    >
    > This should be working, I can make a wireless connection thru the VPN
    > gate back inside the firewall from the thinkpad just fine. Irregardless,
    > neither of the other two systems can get out with or without the VPN
    > connected. The name service is working as they both know the IP address
    > of , say, "cnn.com" but I cannnot connect using IE.
    >
    > I tried using the thinkpad on the "uplink" of the hub and then I tried
    > using it on the hub side. Didnt make any difference. I am looking to
    > replace the hub with a switch. I assume the thinkpad that has the
    > ethernet access point needs to go into the "uplink" part of the hub. Is
    > that correct?
    >
    > ..TIA..
    >

    > --
    > Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson