Newbie - wireless printing - Wireless

This is a discussion on Newbie - wireless printing - Wireless ; Hi, I currently have a home PC (WinXP) connected (ethernet wired) to a the internet via a broadband Actiontec GT701WG (I think this is a wirless router/access point). I have just got a Brother DCP-770CW wireless printer. I have a ...

  1. Newbie - wireless printing

    Hi, I currently have a home PC (WinXP) connected (ethernet wired) to a
    the internet via a broadband Actiontec GT701WG (I think this is a
    wirless router/access point). I have just got a Brother DCP-770CW
    wireless printer. I have a work laptop which happily connects
    wirlessly to the Actiontec router to access the internet.

    I would like to print wirelessly to the printer from the laptop or PC.

    How do I do this, does it require a 'home network'?

    Any advise, pointers or links would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Newbie - wireless printing

    Hi
    According to the specs the printer is Network Ready.
    I.e. it can be configured to connect to the Actiontec GT701WG and thus would
    be available to any Computer that connect (wire or wirelessly) to the
    Actiontec.
    Please notice that any computer that is going to use this printer need an
    installation of the Brothers Drivers and application that are on the CD that
    come with it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Al" wrote in message
    > Hi, I currently have a home PC (WinXP) connected (ethernet wired) to a
    > the internet via a broadband Actiontec GT701WG (I think this is a
    > wirless router/access point). I have just got a Brother DCP-770CW
    > wireless printer. I have a work laptop which happily connects
    > wirlessly to the Actiontec router to access the internet.
    >
    > I would like to print wirelessly to the printer from the laptop or PC.
    >
    > How do I do this, does it require a 'home network'?
    >
    > Any advise, pointers or links would be appreciated.

  3. Re: Newbie - wireless printing

    Thanks. At present I don't have a network set up at home. I just have
    a wireless router which I use to access the internet. If the printer
    is 'network ready' do I have to set up a network?

  4. Re: Newbie - wireless printing

    Al wrote:
    > Thanks. At present I don't have a network set up at home. I just have
    > a wireless router which I use to access the internet. If the printer
    > is 'network ready' do I have to set up a network?

    You already *have* a network -- even if it has only one computer
    connected to it. Because the Actiontec GT701-WG has only one Ethernet
    port, you'll probably want to leave your main computer connected to that
    and let the printer connect to the Actiontec wirelessly, just like your
    work laptop does.

    Or, you can just connect your printer directly to your computer with a
    USB cable, if you don't want to use the "network ready" features.

    It's all explained in the "Network User's Guide" that came with the
    printer. To set it up using a wireless connection, see your "Quick
    Setup Guide" at pages 22 and following (you have an "infrastructure
    mode" wireless network).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  5. Re: Newbie - wireless printing

    Hi
    If you have a Router any thing that can be plugged into it become after its
    configuration part of a network that you already have.
    Your Network setting on your computer are already there (Internet is a
    Network), your connection from the computer to the Router is comprised of a
    Local network (LAN), the same applies to wire and wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Al" wrote in message
    > Thanks. At present I don't have a network set up at home. I just have
    > a wireless router which I use to access the internet. If the printer
    > is 'network ready' do I have to set up a network?

+ Reply to Thread