Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap - Wireless

This is a discussion on Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap - Wireless ; Using my desktop PC, which is accessing the net via a wireless setup, I am unable to access certain web sites because it is attempting to access them via WAP. I continue to get a message that it is an ...

  1. Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap

    Using my desktop PC, which is accessing the net via a wireless setup, I am
    unable to access certain web sites because it is attempting to access them
    via WAP. I continue to get a message that it is an unknown file type. i.e.
    "wap-q1043_com" when attempting to access q1043.com (live music). Is there a
    browser option that i can change to have it attempt to access the "regular"
    web site and not the "wap" site?

  2. Re: Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap

    honeil wrote:
    > Using my desktop PC, which is accessing the net via a wireless setup,
    > I am unable to access certain web sites because it is attempting to
    > access them via WAP.

    What does that mean? You're using wireless on your desktop PC and no modem
    or ethernet, right? So it's accessing *anything* on the internet or LAN via
    wireless.

    > I continue to get a message that it is an
    > unknown file type. i.e. "wap-q1043_com" when attempting to access
    > q1043.com (live music). Is there a browser option that i can change
    > to have it attempt to access the "regular" web site and not the "wap"
    > site?

    Are you having problems accessing other websites? What OS / browser are you
    using? What service packs?

    I'm wondering if you have some malware on your system. This doesn't sound
    like a wireless issue to me.

  3. Re: Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap

    Thanks. I'm using XP Home edition, SP2 and IE 7.0. Is there an option of
    something that i can turn off/on so that i get connected to their "regular"
    web site?

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > honeil wrote:
    > > Using my desktop PC, which is accessing the net via a wireless setup,
    > > I am unable to access certain web sites because it is attempting to
    > > access them via WAP.

    > What does that mean? You're using wireless on your desktop PC and no modem
    > or ethernet, right? So it's accessing *anything* on the internet or LAN via
    > wireless.
    >
    > > I continue to get a message that it is an
    > > unknown file type. i.e. "wap-q1043_com" when attempting to access
    > > q1043.com (live music). Is there a browser option that i can change
    > > to have it attempt to access the "regular" web site and not the "wap"
    > > site?

    > Are you having problems accessing other websites? What OS / browser are you
    > using? What service packs?
    >
    > I'm wondering if you have some malware on your system. This doesn't sound
    > like a wireless issue to me.

  4. Re: Unable to access certain web sites from desktop PC due to .wap

    honeil wrote:
    > Thanks. I'm using XP Home edition, SP2 and IE 7.0. Is there an
    > option of something that i can turn off/on so that i get connected to
    > their "regular" web site?

    Sorry, still not enough info - you didn't mention whether you're having
    problems with many sites or just this one.

    You don't have a wireless issue - I suggest you post (repost w/more detail,
    not just echoing what you originally wrote here) in
    microsoft.public.security.homeusers and someone there can probably help you
    do some scans for malware infestation.

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> honeil wrote:
    >>> Using my desktop PC, which is accessing the net via a wireless
    >>> setup, I am unable to access certain web sites because it is
    >>> attempting to access them via WAP.

    >> What does that mean? You're using wireless on your desktop PC and no
    >> modem or ethernet, right? So it's accessing *anything* on the
    >> internet or LAN via wireless.
    >>
    >>> I continue to get a message that it is an
    >>> unknown file type. i.e. "wap-q1043_com" when attempting to access
    >>> q1043.com (live music). Is there a browser option that i can change
    >>> to have it attempt to access the "regular" web site and not the
    >>> "wap" site?

    >> Are you having problems accessing other websites? What OS / browser
    >> are you using? What service packs?
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if you have some malware on your system. This doesn't
    >> sound like a wireless issue to me.

+ Reply to Thread