Begiinner... Light begininning to dawn? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Begiinner... Light begininning to dawn? - Wireless ; Carrying on from my last question (can't now find the thread), I gather I need a wireless access point which I connect to my landline connected (ADSL) Netcomm Modem/router. Then I can roam round the house with my Toshiba A100 ...

  1. Begiinner... Light begininning to dawn?

    Carrying on from my last question (can't now find the thread), I gather I
    need a wireless access point which I connect to my landline connected (ADSL)
    Netcomm Modem/router. Then I can roam round the house with my Toshiba A100
    notebook with inbuilt Atheros wireless card.

    Some questions arise:

    a) There is no antenna on my notebook but the card does appear to be built
    in. Does that matter?

    b) Presumably the wireless access point is a small standalone box. How is
    security arranged? Does the access point need its own computer? I know the
    notebook will have security settings but how will I prevent people outside
    from using my access point?

    BTW I'm in Australia.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Begiinner... Light begininning to dawn?

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:475aee09@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Carrying on from my last question (can't now find the thread), I gather I
    > need a wireless access point which I connect to my landline connected
    > (ADSL) Netcomm Modem/router. Then I can roam round the house with my
    > Toshiba A100 notebook with inbuilt Atheros wireless card.
    >
    > Some questions arise:
    >
    > a) There is no antenna on my notebook but the card does appear to be built
    > in. Does that matter?
    >
    > b) Presumably the wireless access point is a small standalone box. How is
    > security arranged? Does the access point need its own computer? I know the
    > notebook will have security settings but how will I prevent people outside
    > from using my access point?
    >
    > BTW I'm in Australia.
    > Thanks in advance.

    On most modern notebooks with integrated Wi-Fi the cover/lid, ie. behind the
    display, acts as a large antenna. If you have a plug-in Wi-Fi card they have
    an built-in antenna.

    No the wireless router does not need a computer other than for the initial
    configuration. You can use your laptop to do that but I do recommend
    configuring the router using a wired Ethernet connection versus a wireless
    connection.

    As far as security is concerned I have some general security guidelines on
    this page. Basically you want to use the strongest encryption type your
    router and wireless clients support, ie. WPA2 or WPA. Don't use WEP since
    that is easily cracked. The encryption type and key must match on the router
    and your clients. Change the router password from the default and configure
    a unique SSID (ie. network name if you will) so you can easily find your
    network.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: Begiinner... Light begininning to dawn?

    Suzy wrote:
    > Carrying on from my last question (can't now find the thread), I gather I
    > need a wireless access point which I connect to my landline connected (ADSL)
    > Netcomm Modem/router. Then I can roam round the house with my Toshiba A100
    > notebook with inbuilt Atheros wireless card.
    >
    > Some questions arise:
    >
    > a) There is no antenna on my notebook but the card does appear to be built
    > in. Does that matter?
    >
    > b) Presumably the wireless access point is a small standalone box. How is
    > security arranged? Does the access point need its own computer? I know the
    > notebook will have security settings but how will I prevent people outside
    > from using my access point?
    >
    > BTW I'm in Australia.
    > Thanks in advance.

    If your Netcomm modem/router is supplied by your ISP, see if you can
    exchange it for a wireless modem/router (or, better, separate wireless
    router and modem). If not, you may find that a wireless router is less
    expensive (and perhaps easier to find) than a wireless access point.
    You just don't use the router part of if. For details regarding using a
    wireless router as a wireless access point only, see
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking