how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home... - Wireless

This is a discussion on how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home... - Wireless ; I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home. The error says something to the effect that because there are shared folders on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access point... Is there ...

  1. how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    The error says something to the effect that because there are shared folders
    on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access point...

    Is there a way around this?
    The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...

    Thanks

    Kelvin

  2. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    Secure the WAP.

    It should be done anyway, regaurdless.

    Use at least WPA,...not WEP

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Kelvin" wrote in message
    >I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    > The error says something to the effect that because there are shared
    > folders on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access
    > point...
    >
    > Is there a way around this?
    > The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kelvin

  3. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    why won't she secure her wireless? If you are an IT Pro, wouldn't
    you want to insure that she uses the best wireless security
    available?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    Hi
    This is a strange message normally on Home setting there is No relation
    between Wireless security and the status of the Sharing.
    If it is a Work Laptop that have special configuration for the Work Network
    it might happen.
    In such case it has to be dealt with with the work's IT people instructing
    the person how to create double setting/logon (if possible).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Kelvin" wrote in message
    >I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    > The error says something to the effect that because there are shared
    > folders on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access
    > point...
    >
    > Is there a way around this?
    > The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kelvin

  5. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    Hi Jack

    Thanks for your reply.
    At a previous job I was able to have laptops that were part of the domain
    and the users were able to use them elsewhere via wireless...
    I checked the Laptop and it has these shares:
    Admin$
    C$
    IPC$
    Print$
    Documents$

    Print$ and Documents$ I just deleted (unshared) and the user has not tested.

    I can't imagine deleting the Admin or IPC shares, but not sure about the "C"
    share, but I'm guessing it's a system share and shouldn't be deleted.

    can you shed any light on this?

    Thanks

    Kelvin

    > Hi
    > This is a strange message normally on Home setting there is No relation
    > between Wireless security and the status of the Sharing.
    > If it is a Work Laptop that have special configuration for the Work
    > Network it might happen.
    > In such case it has to be dealt with with the work's IT people instructing
    > the person how to create double setting/logon (if possible).
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Kelvin" wrote in message
    >>I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    >> The error says something to the effect that because there are shared
    >> folders on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access
    >> point...
    >>
    >> Is there a way around this?
    >> The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Kelvin

  6. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    I totally agree that the user should secure their home network should be
    secured, and if I had control over that I'd make them.
    But that doesn't answer my question, because traveling staff will be in
    airports and hotels that aren't secure and will need access at those places
    in addition to home.

    So I still believe there is an answer for how to deal with this in a broader
    sense....

    Thanks

    Kelvin

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    > why won't she secure her wireless? If you are an IT Pro, wouldn't
    > you want to insure that she uses the best wireless security
    > available?
    >
    > On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:12:38 -0600, "Kelvin"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    >>The error says something to the effect that because there are shared
    >>folders
    >>on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access point...
    >>
    >>Is there a way around this?
    >>The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Kelvin
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  7. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    what is the EXACT error message and what is in the Event Log?

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:30:05 -0600, "Kelvin"
    wrote:

    >I totally agree that the user should secure their home network should be
    >secured, and if I had control over that I'd make them.
    >But that doesn't answer my question, because traveling staff will be in
    >airports and hotels that aren't secure and will need access at those places
    >in addition to home.
    >
    >So I still believe there is an answer for how to deal with this in a broader
    >sense....
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Kelvin
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> why won't she secure her wireless? If you are an IT Pro, wouldn't
    >> you want to insure that she uses the best wireless security
    >> available?
    >>
    >> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:12:38 -0600, "Kelvin"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a user who can't connect to her wireless network at home.
    >>>The error says something to the effect that because there are shared
    >>>folders
    >>>on the PC it won't connect to an unsecured wireless access point...
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way around this?
    >>>The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Kelvin
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: how can I get my laptop that connects to our domain to connect at home...

    I'll get the exact error messages and any event logs, but it will be Monday
    before I'll have it....

    I'll post another message Monday

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/