No WPA option with windows wifi - Wireless

This is a discussion on No WPA option with windows wifi - Wireless ; Hello, Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other ideas ...

  1. No WPA option with windows wifi

    Hello,

    Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
    the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
    still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
    ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?

    Andy

  2. Re: No WPA option with windows wifi

    Hi
    Assuming that your Windows is Win XP with the update for WPA, or Vista.
    Windows gets its encryption parameters from the Wireless Card's Drivers. If
    the Drivers do not contain the core setting for WPA Windows would not do
    WPA.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "andy" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
    > the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
    > still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
    > ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?
    >
    > Andy

  3. Re: No WPA option with windows wifi

    some early wifi cards don't have WPA drivers. what laptop and what
    wireless card model?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: No WPA option with windows wifi

    "andy" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
    > the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
    > still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
    > ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?
    >
    > Andy

    Since encryption is done by the hardware (otherwise it would be way too
    slow), no amount of software alterations will enable WPA. Evidently, the
    adapter in your laptop does not support WPA. Thus, the only hope is to
    replace the adapter.
    Jim

  5. Re: No WPA option with windows wifi

    If your machine is XP, did you put SP2 on the machine before the KB893357
    update ?

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "andy" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
    > > the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
    > > still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
    > > ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?
    > >
    > > Andy

    > Since encryption is done by the hardware (otherwise it would be way too
    > slow), no amount of software alterations will enable WPA. Evidently, the
    > adapter in your laptop does not support WPA. Thus, the only hope is to
    > replace the adapter.
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread