Simple home network? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Simple home network? - Wireless ; Hi all Beginner's question: I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house ...

  1. Simple home network?

    Hi all

    Beginner's question:

    I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to a
    Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to arrange
    to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the modem from
    wherever I am?

  2. Re: Simple home network?

    Hi
    The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
    The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
    to connect to the Router.
    Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
    from $60 to $100.
    It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
    higher than Wireless Routers.
    Example,
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2

    Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
    Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you can
    save on the price.
    Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
    rebate.
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
    It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Beginner's question:
    >
    > I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to
    > a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
    > arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
    > modem from wherever I am?

  3. Re: Simple home network?

    Thanks Jack. So does the access point connect straight to the Netcomm
    modem? No computer required? And then do I reach the access point on the air
    by using the A100's built in wireless network facility? (switch on the right
    hand side of the machine). As you see I am the complete beginner!

    > Hi
    > The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
    > The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
    > to connect to the Router.
    > Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
    > from $60 to $100.
    > It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
    > higher than Wireless Routers.
    > Example,
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2
    >
    > Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
    > Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you
    > can save on the price.
    > Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
    > rebate.
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
    > It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >
    > If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Suzy" wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Beginner's question:
    >>
    >> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port
    >> to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
    >> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
    >> modem from wherever I am?

  4. Re: Simple home network?

    Hi
    Yes you are on the right track.
    If you want to understand better how to configure the Wireless this might
    further help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:47587217@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Thanks Jack. So does the access point connect straight to the Netcomm
    > modem? No computer required? And then do I reach the access point on the
    > air by using the A100's built in wireless network facility? (switch on the
    > right hand side of the machine). As you see I am the complete beginner!
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
    >> The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless
    >> computers to connect to the Router.
    >> Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price
    >> range from $60 to $100.
    >> It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
    >> higher than Wireless Routers.
    >> Example,
    >> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2
    >>
    >> Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
    >> Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you
    >> can save on the price.
    >> Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99
    >> after rebate.
    >> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
    >> It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >>
    >> If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Suzy" wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> Beginner's question:
    >>>
    >>> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port
    >>> to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
    >>> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
    >>> modem from wherever I am?

+ Reply to Thread