Use access point as a wireless adaptor? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Use access point as a wireless adaptor? - Wireless ; My situation: I have a wirless router upstairs connected to a cable modem to access the internet. Laptops connect to this through their internal wireless cards. I have a desktop downstairs that needs to access the internet, but it doesn't ...

  1. Use access point as a wireless adaptor?

    My situation: I have a wirless router upstairs connected to a cable
    modem to access the internet.

    Laptops connect to this through their internal wireless cards.

    I have a desktop downstairs that needs to access the internet, but it
    doesn't have a open PCI slot for a wireless adaptor and the USB ports
    are all taken up.

    I do have a Netgear WG302 Wireless Access Point. Is there a way to
    configure this access point to act as a Wireless adaptor that I can
    plug into my PC via crossover cable?

    Any advice would be much apreciated.

  2. Re: Use access point as a wireless adaptor?

    Hi
    Very few Wireless Routers can be configured as clients, the Netgear line is
    Not among them.
    USB can easily expand by buying for few $$ a USB Hub.
    Example,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...26&Tpk=usb+hub
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    > My situation: I have a wirless router upstairs connected to a cable
    > modem to access the internet.
    >
    > Laptops connect to this through their internal wireless cards.
    >
    > I have a desktop downstairs that needs to access the internet, but it
    > doesn't have a open PCI slot for a wireless adaptor and the USB ports
    > are all taken up.
    >
    > I do have a Netgear WG302 Wireless Access Point. Is there a way to
    > configure this access point to act as a Wireless adaptor that I can
    > plug into my PC via crossover cable?
    >
    > Any advice would be much apreciated.

+ Reply to Thread