networking - Wireless

This is a discussion on networking - Wireless ; i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my printer is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to a DSL modem. i can access the internet ...

  1. networking

    i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my printer
    is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to a DSL
    modem. i can access the internet on my laptop, but when i run the network
    setup wizard on my desktop it fails for some reason. anybody know why it
    might not be working?

  2. Re: networking

    Hi
    Since your Desktop and your Laptop are connected to the same Router you
    already have a Network and you can let the Wizard to rest.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Austin" wrote in message
    >i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my
    >printer
    > is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to a
    > DSL
    > modem. i can access the internet on my laptop, but when i run the network
    > setup wizard on my desktop it fails for some reason. anybody know why it
    > might not be working?

  3. Re: networking

    Austin wrote:
    > i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my printer
    > is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to a DSL
    > modem. i can access the internet on my laptop, but when i run the network
    > setup wizard on my desktop it fails for some reason. anybody know why it
    > might not be working?

    If you can't resolve things using the info in Jack's post, please
    explain in detail what happens when you run the Network Setup Wizard,
    and post the text of any error messages you get.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  4. Re: networking

    Like I said, the internet connection is fine on my laptop, but am trying to
    configure my network to allow file and printer sharing. I start the Network
    Setup Wizard and follow the steps - I choose "This computer connects to the
    Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my
    network." After the naming steps I select turn on file and printer sharing.
    Then I hit next, it works for a while, then just says "An error occurred
    during configuration of the network on this computer. You can configure your
    network manually, or you can run the wizard again with different settings."
    As far as I know, my firewalls are off. The wizard says nothing about why it
    failed.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Austin wrote:
    > > i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my printer
    > > is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to a DSL
    > > modem. i can access the internet on my laptop, but when i run the network
    > > setup wizard on my desktop it fails for some reason. anybody know why it
    > > might not be working?

    > If you can't resolve things using the info in Jack's post, please
    > explain in detail what happens when you run the Network Setup Wizard,
    > and post the text of any error messages you get.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  5. Re: networking

    Hi
    If the two computer are on the same Network sharing should work OK.
    Otherwise if you made a mistake and you do not have one cohesive Network,
    you would have sharing problem.
    Your explanation are Not informative enough to make a diagnosis.
    As a first step post the IPs of the computers and a more precise description
    of how exactly every thing is connected.
    In addition the more you keep running the Wizard the less you have a chance
    to get it right, by now there might be conflicting information in Windows
    Registry.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Austin" wrote in message
    > Like I said, the internet connection is fine on my laptop, but am trying
    > configure my network to allow file and printer sharing. I start the
    > Network
    > Setup Wizard and follow the steps - I choose "This computer connects to
    > the
    > Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my
    > network." After the naming steps I select turn on file and printer
    > sharing.
    > Then I hit next, it works for a while, then just says "An error occurred
    > during configuration of the network on this computer. You can configure
    > your
    > network manually, or you can run the wizard again with different
    > settings."
    > As far as I know, my firewalls are off. The wizard says nothing about why
    > it
    > failed.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Austin wrote:
    >> > i am trying to set up a home network so i can print from a laptop. my
    >> > printer
    >> > is connected to my desktop, which is connected to a router and then to
    >> > a DSL
    >> > modem. i can access the internet on my laptop, but when i run the
    >> > network
    >> > setup wizard on my desktop it fails for some reason. anybody know why
    >> > it
    >> > might not be working?

    >> If you can't resolve things using the info in Jack's post, please
    >> explain in detail what happens when you run the Network Setup Wizard,
    >> and post the text of any error messages you get.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

+ Reply to Thread