How to check what is passing through network - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to check what is passing through network - Wireless ; I use my laptop, with its Wireless-G card, with the free Wi-Fi service in the local public library for Internet access. Lately I have noticed that the outgoing data quanta greatly exceeds that coming in. Even when merely websurfing, the ...

  1. How to check what is passing through network

    I use my laptop, with its Wireless-G card, with the free Wi-Fi service in
    the local public library for Internet access.

    Lately I have noticed that the outgoing data quanta greatly exceeds that
    coming in. Even when merely websurfing, the connections properties reports
    that (for example) 30,000 packets were sent out vs. 25,000 packets received.

    I wonder what my laptop is sending out? Is there a way to check and/or stop
    it?

    There is no file-sharing software on this unit. Free Download Manager was
    installed but it was removed to check whether it was clandestinely working
    in the background. However that turned out to be not so.

    Regards and thanks in anticipation.

    JP
    ---

  2. RE: How to check what is passing through network

    You migt try "Wireshark." It's freeware, available I think from
    www.wireshark.org. I was talked through its installation and use by another
    guy at work when we were looking for bugs in IP protocols on one of our
    company's products that connects to the Internet. I have not used Wireshark
    by myself, but when I was being talked through it, I could easily see
    everything going out and coming in over my wireless connection... including
    passwords, etc. Scary!

    "JP" wrote:

    > I use my laptop, with its Wireless-G card, with the free Wi-Fi service in
    > the local public library for Internet access.
    >
    > Lately I have noticed that the outgoing data quanta greatly exceeds that
    > coming in. Even when merely websurfing, the connections properties reports
    > that (for example) 30,000 packets were sent out vs. 25,000 packets received.
    >
    > I wonder what my laptop is sending out? Is there a way to check and/or stop
    > it?
    >
    > There is no file-sharing software on this unit. Free Download Manager was
    > installed but it was removed to check whether it was clandestinely working
    > in the background. However that turned out to be not so.
    >
    > Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards and thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > JP
    > ---

  3. Re: How to check what is passing through network

    Hi
    This free Utility from Microsoft might help in finding rouge connections out
    (if any).
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/TcpView.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JP" wrote in message
    >I use my laptop, with its Wireless-G card, with the free Wi-Fi service in
    > the local public library for Internet access.
    >
    > Lately I have noticed that the outgoing data quanta greatly exceeds that
    > coming in. Even when merely websurfing, the connections properties reports
    > that (for example) 30,000 packets were sent out vs. 25,000 packets
    > received.
    >
    > I wonder what my laptop is sending out? Is there a way to check and/or
    > stop
    > it?
    >
    > There is no file-sharing software on this unit. Free Download Manager was
    > installed but it was removed to check whether it was clandestinely working
    > in the background. However that turned out to be not so.
    >
    > Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards and thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > JP
    > ---

  4. Re: How to check what is passing through network

    "JP" wrote in message
    >I use my laptop, with its Wireless-G card, with the free Wi-Fi service in
    > the local public library for Internet access.
    >
    > Lately I have noticed that the outgoing data quanta greatly exceeds that
    > coming in. Even when merely websurfing, the connections properties reports
    > that (for example) 30,000 packets were sent out vs. 25,000 packets
    > received.
    >
    > I wonder what my laptop is sending out? Is there a way to check and/or
    > stop
    > it?
    >
    > There is no file-sharing software on this unit. Free Download Manager was
    > installed but it was removed to check whether it was clandestinely working
    > in the background. However that turned out to be not so.
    >
    > Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards and thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > JP
    > ---

    Thanks for the helpful responses. I shal try out the suggestions as soon as
    I can!

    Everybody have a very nice day!

    JP
    ---