Connecting 2 laptops directly - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connecting 2 laptops directly - Wireless ; HI, I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which has XP running on it. I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx Now the two are ...

  1. Connecting 2 laptops directly

    HI,

    I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which has
    XP running on it.

    I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
    me two things- Public and Printers.

    There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are simply
    not visible.

    What could be the problem?

    TIA

  2. Re: Connecting 2 laptops directly

    I'm surely no expert when it comes to networking but In my opinion your
    biggest problem is Vista; but you can check your software firewall and be
    sure you have it setup to allow your computer access. You may need to find
    the ip address of your computer and enter it manually. I had to do that with
    some of my software firewall programs. This was after I went through the
    network wizard to set up my network. I never was successful in getting Vista
    to play nice with my XP computers.

    The "bowman" in the url you listed is the only person I know that might have
    suggestions that might help.

    "Shilps" wrote in message
    > HI,
    >
    > I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which
    > has
    > XP running on it.
    >
    > I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information
    > at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    > Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
    > me two things- Public and Printers.
    >
    > There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are
    > simply
    > not visible.
    >
    > What could be the problem?
    >
    > TIA

  3. Re: Connecting 2 laptops directly

    On the vista, type this command: net share. In the XP, type net view
    \\vistahostname (replace vistahostname with the real computer name). compare
    them or post here.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Shilps" wrote in message
    > HI,
    >
    > I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which
    > has
    > XP running on it.
    >
    > I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information
    > at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    > Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
    > me two things- Public and Printers.
    >
    > There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are
    > simply
    > not visible.
    >
    > What could be the problem?
    >
    > TIA