can't share a printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on can't share a printer - Wireless ; Hi I've followed the insturctions to share my printer with other computers on my home wireless network. But when I go to my laptop to add the printer, it can't find it. It says either the printer name is wrong ...

  1. can't share a printer

    Hi

    I've followed the insturctions to share my printer with other computers on
    my home wireless network. But when I go to my laptop to add the printer, it
    can't find it. It says either the printer name is wrong or the printer is not
    on the network. Can anyone help?

    By the way, when I was setting my printer for sharing and I selected 'share
    this printer' I gave it a name. Could this be the source of the problem?
    --
    Millie

  2. Re: can't share a printer

    Millie wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've followed the insturctions to share my printer with other computers on
    > my home wireless network. But when I go to my laptop to add the printer, it
    > can't find it. It says either the printer name is wrong or the printer is not
    > on the network. Can anyone help?
    >
    > By the way, when I was setting my printer for sharing and I selected 'share
    > this printer' I gave it a name. Could this be the source of the problem?

    Could be. Printer share names should be 12 characters or less and not
    include any of " / \ [ ] : | < > + ; , ? * =
    Some MS references suggest that you can use *some* of those special
    characters, but better safe than sorry. Further, the the entire
    qualified name (including the server name, for example
    \\KitchenComputer\Inkjet2) must be fewer than 31 characters.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  3. Re: can't share a printer

    Hi Lem

    The name I chose is EPSON880. I doubt the name is causing the problem then.
    Do you know what else it might be?
    --
    Millie